Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 251-a125
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just had clean install of windows 10. Xfinity came today, Paid for 200Mbs and getting just under 100. Signal at computer is perfect. Tech said my Wi-Fi card is probably rated at 100Mbs.

My question is if I get a newer faster card will it improve my speed or is it limited by my CPU as well?

Thanks...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The fastest throughput you can get from that model wlan card is 72 MBPS.

Unless your PC has two antennas in the case (there will only be one connected to that model wlan card), you wouldn't be able to upgrade the internal card for a better one.

If your PC only has one antenna, I recommend you get a dual band USB external wireless network adapter.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Sorry...forgot to mention I have the latest driver version (2023.48.1130.2016)

HP Recommended

Hi:

The fastest throughput you can get from that model wlan card is 72 MBPS.

Unless your PC has two antennas in the case (there will only be one connected to that model wlan card), you wouldn't be able to upgrade the internal card for a better one.

If your PC only has one antenna, I recommend you get a dual band USB external wireless network adapter.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the prompt reply Paul...

I dont know what that is you recomended, but I'll find out shortly!

thanks again...

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Something like this...this is the model dual band wireless network adapter I use...

https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Dual-Band-Wireless-N-Adapter-AE3000/dp/B007ZLGXA8

HP Recommended

Question Paul...

where does this adapter plug in? My Wi-Fi adapter? Isnt that whats limiting my speed now?

Could I get a faster internal card instead?

The reason I ask is Comcast Techs tell me the dual band network adapter you mention will NOT improve my speed...

HP Recommended

Hi:

As I stated in my original reply, yes you can get a better internal card, but only if your PC has two antennas in the case.

One will be connected to the current card.

If there is a second one not connected, you are all set.

But if you have only one antenna, then a better wireless card would require two antennas.

And the techs are incorrect.

You will get much faster speeds with a dual band card on the 5.0 GHz wireless router band.

The USB model I posted the link to, is currently connecting at 450 MBPS on the 5.0 GHz router band.

My internet service provider (Charter) provides me with a 100 MBPS service.

But when I run the speed test, I am getting download speeds between 120 and 130 MBPS.

Looking at the picture of the motherboard your PC has below, I would say the wireless card you have is connected in that short white slot to the left of the longer white slot.

A better internal card (if you see two antennas in there), would connect at 300 MBPS on the 5.0 Ghz band.

The Nutmeg-P motherboard

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.