Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 15-dy1751ms
Microsoft Windows 11

I can only connect to the internet thru the ethernet cable. The notebook doesnt show any wifi conection available.

It seems to be the lack of the driver, although nothing is hilighted in the device manager.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Based on your description, it looks like the problem is with the Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller network card driver. This is your wired network adapter, not your wireless network adapter. This may explain why you are unable to connect to a Wi-Fi network.

There are several things you can try to address this issue:

Reinstall the network card driver (which you already did):

1. Locate the Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller network card in Device Manager.
2. Right-click the card and select "Uninstall Device".
3. Check "Remove driver software" in the confirmation dialog box, and then click "Uninstall".
4. Reboot your computer.
5. Visit the HP Support website to find the latest NIC driver for your notebook model (you can ask for help from HP Services) and download and install it.

Check for hardware problems:
Make sure the network cable is connected properly and is not disconnected or damaged.
If possible, try connecting your laptop with another known working cable to determine if the problem is related to the cable itself.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

It sounds like there might indeed be an issue with the Wi-Fi driver or the Wi-Fi adapter itself. Here's a step-by-step guide you can follow to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue:

1. Restart Your Computer: Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve connectivity issues.

2. Check Wi-Fi Adapter: Ensure that the Wi-Fi adapter is enabled. Sometimes, laptops have a physical switch or a key combination (often Fn + F# key) to toggle Wi-Fi on and off. Make sure it's turned on.

3. Check Flight Mode: Ensure that your laptop is not in "Flight Mode" or "Airplane Mode," which disables all wireless connections including Wi-Fi.

4. Update Wi-Fi Driver:

• Open Device Manager (you can search for it in the Windows search bar).
    • Look for "Network adapters" and expand it.
    • Find your Wi-Fi adapter, it might be labeled as "Wireless LAN," "Wi-Fi," or something similar.
    • Right-click on it and select "Update driver."
    • Choose "Search automatically for updated driver software" and follow the on-screen instructions.
    • If there are no updates found or if updating doesn't resolve the issue, you may need to manually download and install the latest driver from the HP website. Make sure to download the driver that matches your specific model.
  5. Check for Windows Updates: Sometimes, Windows updates include driver updates. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update, and check for updates.

6. Check Wi-Fi Services:

• Press Win + R to open the Run dialog.
    • Type "services.msc" and press Enter.
    • Look for services named "Wi-Fi" or "WLAN AutoConfig." Ensure that they are running and set to start automatically.
  7. Scan for Hardware Changes:

• In Device Manager, click on "Action" in the menu bar.
    • Select "Scan for hardware changes." This will prompt Windows to scan for any new or changed hardware devices.
  8. Check BIOS Settings: Sometimes, Wi-Fi functionality can be disabled in the BIOS settings. Restart your computer and enter BIOS settings (usually by pressing a specific key during startup, like F2, F10, or Del). Look for any settings related to wireless or Wi-Fi and ensure they are enabled.

9. Reset TCP/IP Stack:

• Open Command Prompt as an administrator.
    • Type the following commands one by one and press Enter after each:
      netsh winsock reset
      netsh int ip reset
      ipconfig /release
      ipconfig /renew
    • After running these commands, restart your computer.
    1. Check Hardware: If none of the above steps work, there might be a hardware issue with your Wi-Fi adapter. In this case, you may need to contact HP support for further assistance or consider taking your laptop to a technician for inspection.

10. You can check more detailed steps here → https://www.isunshare.com/computer/hp-laptop-wont-connect-to-wifi.html . Try these steps and see if they help resolve the issue. If the problem persists, feel free to provide more details, and I'll do my best to assist you further.

HP Recommended

Hi Haley,

Did almost everything from your check list.

it keeps saying a WiFi driver is not connected.

i updated it several times already.

i am having problems to know which is the driver is missing. Trued in the HP support for my machine and there is not definite answer, like download and install this one.

So, if you could, I am attaching some screens I printed for you to have a better understanding of the notebook model and the resultas of what I am receiving from all the checks and trials. 
There was a hidden Realtek driver in the device manager that after several attempts to update or, I removed it to have it installed again by the windows, which didn’t happen. So I tried and installed the one you see in the print screen that is not working.or not connected. 
mid I get the exact driver to download and instalar, it will be my last tentative before I reconfigure the whole thing to the factory/format the notebook and 

and reinstall windows 11.

Appreciate any final help.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

HP Recommended

Based on your description, it looks like the problem is with the Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller network card driver. This is your wired network adapter, not your wireless network adapter. This may explain why you are unable to connect to a Wi-Fi network.

There are several things you can try to address this issue:

Reinstall the network card driver (which you already did):

1. Locate the Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller network card in Device Manager.
2. Right-click the card and select "Uninstall Device".
3. Check "Remove driver software" in the confirmation dialog box, and then click "Uninstall".
4. Reboot your computer.
5. Visit the HP Support website to find the latest NIC driver for your notebook model (you can ask for help from HP Services) and download and install it.

Check for hardware problems:
Make sure the network cable is connected properly and is not disconnected or damaged.
If possible, try connecting your laptop with another known working cable to determine if the problem is related to the cable itself.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.