Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp envy 20-d200 touchsmart
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)
My computer is being stubborn and won't connect to the internet. I am using an Ethernet cable connected to a TP-LINK 150 Mbps TL-WR700N router thingy, because it won't connect to WiFi. I have many issues. I've reset my computer and it still has the same issues.

1. When I try to connect wirelessly it will say the connection is limited. I also saw that the device manager said that both the Microsoft WiFi direct virtual adapter (I think that's some usb shaped thing in the back of my computer in a secret port) and the RAS Async Adapter were disconnected (code 45). Now just the RAS Async Adapter is disconnected.

2. Even with the Ethernet​ cable it won't connect. The network and sharing center displays "Access type: No Internet access". I set up the TCP/IPv4 properties with a certain ip address and that usually works but recently it isn't.

3. When it does connect (via Ethernet) it the connection drops out for many reasons. a) if the computer hibernates or goes to sleep the internet won't work when I wake it up. b) if the router thing is disconnected from the outlet it won't work and I have to set it back up. c) at random times it will disconnect and it'll take a while before it comes back, but when it does it's a great internet connection.

I reset it once and then it's been like this ever since. Perhaps a it's a virus? Should I just get another computer?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Adriguad, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you have issues connecting to the internet using wired or wireless connections.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Have you tried connecting your PC to a different network?

It looks to be settings in the router which might be configured incorrectly, contact your internet service provider and change the settings.

Please try the steps recommended below.

1) Make sure that IP address and DNS server was set to obtain the address automatically.
Click on Start --> In search bar type ncpa.cpl and press "Enter".
Right click on your Network icon ---> Select "Properties" ---> scroll down and double click on "Internet Protocol[TCP/IP]" . Make sure that "Obtain IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically" options are selected.
2) Click on Start --> In search bar type CMD right click run as administrator and press "Enter". Type this command ipconfig /all and press enter. Make sure that IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS Servers are having addresses.
3) Check your firewall (try to turn it off to see if it helps).
4) Try to deactivate your antivirus to see if it helps. 

If the issue still persists try the steps recommended below.

In the search box on the taskbar, type Device Manager, and then select Device Manager from the list of results.
In Device Manager, select Network adapters > the network adapter name. (If it’s not listed there, check in Other devices.)
Press and hold (or right-click) the network adapter, and then select Update driver > Browse my computer for driver software.
Select Browse > select the location where the driver files are stored > OK.
Select Next > follow the steps to install the driver > Close.
After you've updated the driver, select the Start button > Power  > Restart if you're asked to restart, and see if that fixes the connection issue.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a beautiful weekend ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Adriguad, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you have issues connecting to the internet using wired or wireless connections.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Have you tried connecting your PC to a different network?

It looks to be settings in the router which might be configured incorrectly, contact your internet service provider and change the settings.

Please try the steps recommended below.

1) Make sure that IP address and DNS server was set to obtain the address automatically.
Click on Start --> In search bar type ncpa.cpl and press "Enter".
Right click on your Network icon ---> Select "Properties" ---> scroll down and double click on "Internet Protocol[TCP/IP]" . Make sure that "Obtain IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically" options are selected.
2) Click on Start --> In search bar type CMD right click run as administrator and press "Enter". Type this command ipconfig /all and press enter. Make sure that IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS Servers are having addresses.
3) Check your firewall (try to turn it off to see if it helps).
4) Try to deactivate your antivirus to see if it helps. 

If the issue still persists try the steps recommended below.

In the search box on the taskbar, type Device Manager, and then select Device Manager from the list of results.
In Device Manager, select Network adapters > the network adapter name. (If it’s not listed there, check in Other devices.)
Press and hold (or right-click) the network adapter, and then select Update driver > Browse my computer for driver software.
Select Browse > select the location where the driver files are stored > OK.
Select Next > follow the steps to install the driver > Close.
After you've updated the driver, select the Start button > Power  > Restart if you're asked to restart, and see if that fixes the connection issue.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a beautiful weekend ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?: No, I just downloaded audacity, malwarebytes, finale notepad, steam, sublime text, and unity.

Have you tried connecting your PC to a different network?: I have no other networks to connect to.

Also I remembered that the TP-Link thingy is an adapter.

1) Make sure that IP address and DNS server was set to obtain the address automatically.: When I do that the internet doesn't work, I have to set it up to a certain ip, it works but it's just really slow and my internet is usually really fast. I just did that now, and set it back to the ip adress and the network name changed from Network 2 to Linksys27023 (the name of my network)

Make sure that IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS Servers are having addresses.: They do when I set the ipv4 with a custom ip address.

3) Check your firewall (try to turn it off to see if it helps).: I'm afraid of doing that...

4) Try to deactivate your antivirus to see if it helps.: The action center won't let me do that. I use malwarebytes and the free Norton that came with the computer.

Update Drivers: Idk where the drivers are stored, I just chose the web option instead and I will reset my computer to see what happens.

I can connect to my network wirelessly but it'll say limited most of the time and an evil yellow triangle will show up on the internet bars. I think its just my network and no longer my computer,  I also think its also my tp-link adapter. I'm reseting my computer now to update the drivers.

Thanks for your help MrRobot. 😄

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. Please do post your technical queries on our Forums for assistance. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.