Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 795xt Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I had my Dell XPS 8900 my IP connection was over 200 mbps. Now my HP ENVY 795xt Desktop PC hits 177 mbps or near that number. I am trying to figure out why that is happening. I know the Re altek Adapter is 10/100/1000 mbps and it should  get a lot closer to the 200 mbps.

Cox gave me 200 mbps on July 3, 2019 and I switched out the Dell to the HP May 27, 2019. Yesterday I just happened to check through Speedtest and did several times. the highest I got was 177 and the lowest was 103. I used the same IP for the connect test. Would changing out the adapters help?

Terry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This Morning I received an email from Cox stating that my internet speed had been increase to 150 mbsp. Since this contradicted the  July 3 email I call Cox. My wife called to reduce our monthly bill on Friday. They lowered it2. 01 and apparently that cancelled my Grandfathered account which gave me 200 mbps.  It wasn't anything related to HP.

The person handling the deal apparently didn't explain this to our wife.Not real happy, but I am getting 177 mbps (to Boise, ID from Phoenix).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

I have a 200 Mbit/sec connection also. I don't consistently get the maximum speed from my ISP. A cable connection means you are sharing bandwidth. Multiple users on the same line is going to throttle bandwidth.

I would be very happy to always get close to 200 Mbit/sec down. I never see this happen.

Reboot your PC. Disconnect your modem and router from AC power. Wait a while then reconnect both devices to see if down stream speed increases.

Check your PC Support site for a network card driver update. I have seen some network driver updates make this situation worse instead of better.

The fine print in your contract with the ISP will say speeds up to 200 Mbits/sec. They got ya!

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi, I was getting over 200 mbps before I went to the HP. Now getting about 177 and a little less. I have already checked for driver updates. I have also disconnected my modem and router, waited over 30 seconds and rebooted.

I know I should be getting my old speed, but somethings wrong. My wife is the only user and she doesn't do that much on the computer to impact  the speed. I have an Arris SB8200 Modem  and a Netgear Nighthawk R7900P Nighthawk X6S Router.

Thanks for the reply

Terry

HP Recommended

Hi Tigerworm27,

You're very welcome.

Too many variables to zero in on the exact problem.

Contact your ISP to see what they have to say.

Try a add in network adapter card if you have open PCIe x1 or x4 slots on the motherboard.

Regards

HP Recommended

This Morning I received an email from Cox stating that my internet speed had been increase to 150 mbsp. Since this contradicted the  July 3 email I call Cox. My wife called to reduce our monthly bill on Friday. They lowered it2. 01 and apparently that cancelled my Grandfathered account which gave me 200 mbps.  It wasn't anything related to HP.

The person handling the deal apparently didn't explain this to our wife.Not real happy, but I am getting 177 mbps (to Boise, ID from Phoenix).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.