Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY N7H24EA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The wifi card is: Intel(R) 3165

The driver: 19.1.0.4

My laptop crashes when not plugged in. If I'm trying to work on battery, the wifi fails-usually with the yellow triangle and can't find any networks. All the internet pages freeze too. The only way I can repair it is to restart the laptop.

The Device Manager tells me no driver is installed!

I have unchecked the box telling the wifi to turn off when on low battery.

I have rolled back the driver.

I've installed 2 drivers, making a total of 3 different drivers that I have tried.

Please help, the laptop is relatively new but my warranty is about to expire, I also have lots of work to do as I study physics, so as a student I can't afford another and I can't really afford not to have a laptop for any length of time. But I really need a mobile, wireless laptop too.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@B_S_C

Thank you for the update,

I'm glad you've followed my suggestions and Yes,
you could attempt the steps from my first post as well,

To be on a safer side as that, may just do the trick.

Keep me posted,
If the information I've provided was helpful,
give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,
that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@B_S_C

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

I'd be glad to help you 🙂

As I Understand the laptop crashes while running on the battery, however, works well when connected to the adapter,

Don't worry, though, as I have a few steps listed below that should help you resolve this concern:

Unplug the charge and use the laptop until the battery drains to 15%.

Turn off the laptop and turn it back on after 30mins.

Reinstalled Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery under device manager,

Restart the computer and the issue should be fixed.

Also, Go through them all and let me know what you have determined is causing the issue.
The first document has the most relevant troubleshooting to resolve such battery issues:

Battery Does not Power Notebook or Hold a Charge

Battery Charging Delayed When Operating Notebook in High Ambient Temperatures

Battery Does Not Charge when Using a Voltage Adapter with the Power Adapter

Battery Indicator Light Turns On and Off While Battery is Charging

To understand more about how your battery works: Click here

If you are able to reach some resolution, please click on Accept Solution to help others with similar issues.
If you appreciate my assistance, please click on the thumbs up icon.
Both icons are below this post.

Have a good day, Ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi thank you for your response, although I don't think I conveyed the problem very well. I don't think I have a problem with the battery as such, it is the WiFi that goes when I'm running on the battery. It will work for 5-15 minutes and then the yellow warning triangle appears, the Web pages freeze and the laptop slows down. So when I disconnect the mains, the WiFi fails and the laptop freezes. Sometimes I'm able to get our back by plugging the mains back in, disabling the WiFi driver and then re-enable it. Most times however I have to restart the laptop. I have had the problem since I it was brands new.
HP Recommended

@B_S_C

Thank you for replying,

I understand the steps provided seem a bit orthodox but it seems to have helped others in the past,
hence I would appreciate if you could attempt the same.

If the issue persists, I recommend you follow the below steps:

Here's the possible reason for your concern:
The computer will drop its wireless connection when it is unplugged from the AC adapter and starts using battery power. This happens because the power settings are configured to automatically reduce the power to the wireless network adapter, resulting in a smaller broadcast radius. When the broadcast radius falls outside the range of the access point's broadcast radius, the wireless adapter disconnects. Although the device manager can be set to turn off the wireless device to save battery power when the power level is low, this can cause the wireless device to quit while still operating on battery power.

To resolve this issue, adjust the power settings so that the wireless network adapter remains at full strength even when the computer switches over to battery power.

Adjust the wireless network adapter power settings

Disable the wireless device's power-saving option

For details: Click here

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below. 
Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!
Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi, ok I followed your procedures unfortunately everything you asked me to do was already done. The power management -allow computer to turn off device was already unchecked and the change power saving mode for WiFi adapter was already on maximum performance for both battery and plugged in. I'll see if there is any change, thank-you.
Ps do I still have to run the laptop down to 15% and follow your instructions for your first post?
HP Recommended

@B_S_C

I'm glad you've followed my suggestions and Yes,
you could attempt the steps from my first post as well,

To be on a safer side as that, may just do the trick.

Keep me posted,
If the information I've provided was helpful,
give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,
that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi, thank you very much. I'm not exactly sure what I did but it seems to have worked. You have been most helpful, cheers.
HP Recommended

@B_S_C

I'm glad that worked out,

I appreciate all the efforts and your patience,

I hope you have a wonderful day, ahead.

Take care of yourself,

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.