Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 23 Touchsmart SE d494
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I just upgraded my ISP service and should be getting up to 250 mbps download, but am only getting around 95 mbps, which is the same as I was getting before.  Looking at the specifications of my computer, it seems I should have no problem getting the 250 mbps speed.  Am I missing something or is there something I need to do?  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Turns out that the Cat 5 cable that I was using wasn't allowing the higher speeds, as I tried replacing it with another cable I had and immediately got the faster speeds.  I now am getting around 230 mbps download.  Cool!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@skhyatt, welcome to the forum.

Your problem is the wireless card in the computer:

Figure : Wireless card - top view Wireless card - top view

• Form factor: PCI express half-length mini card
  • Wireless standard: 802.11 a/b/g/n
  • Bluetooth support: Bluetooth 4.0
  • Data rates:
    • 802.11b: 1, 2, 5.5, 11 Mbps
    • 802.11g: 6, 9, 12, 18, 24, 36, 48, 54 Mbps
    • 802.11a: 6, 9, 12, 18, 24, 36, 48, 54 Mbps
  • Antennas: 2 embedded dual band antennas
  • Data rate: up to 150 Mbps
  • Operating range: depends on environment
  • Supported security protocols:
    • Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) supports modes that have 64-bit, and 128-bit keys
    • Support for WPA-PSK and WPA2-PSK in Windows
    • AES-CCMP: 128 bit in hardware
    • 802.1x authentication
    • WPA, WPA2: 802.1x. WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK, TKIP, and AES.
    • WPA2 certification
    • IEEE 802.11i
    • WAPI
 note:
WiDi (Intel Wireless Display) is a wireless display standard developed by Intel, based on the existing Wi-Fi standard. WiDi enables a portable device or computer to send up to 1080p HD video and 5.1 surround sound wirelessly to a compatible display.

I have highlighted in orange the two speeds of it and the Form Factor.  You will need a wireless card that supports 802.11ac.  The ac cards are capable of speeds up to a gigabit (1000 Mb/s).  Of course, your router has to be ac, also.  Here is a card that should work for you.  Also, you have to realize that using a wireless connection is not going to be as fast as a wired connection.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended
Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that I am connecting via ethernet cable. Hard wired
HP Recommended

You are welcome, @skhyatt.  Thank you for the additional information.

I suggest that you contact your ISP for help with your problem.  I have had problems with my speeds (100 Mb/s) and contacted my ISP and they were able to get me the speed I am paying for.  As you said, it appears that your components should support more than 95 Mb/s.

HP Recommended

I contacted my ISP and they did try resetting my modem, which did not work, and then after more information, they said it appeared my computer was capped at no more than 100.  They then suggested I contact HP support, which did not work as I am out of warranty.  My computer is rated at 10/100/1000 for data transfer rate.  I thought this meant I should be able to get the higher speeds, but now I'm not sure.

HP Recommended

I don't believe that HP has capped your speed.  I know from my persoal experience with my ISP that they will always place the blame on something else until I press them.

HP Recommended

Very true!

HP Recommended

Turns out that the Cat 5 cable that I was using wasn't allowing the higher speeds, as I tried replacing it with another cable I had and immediately got the faster speeds.  I now am getting around 230 mbps download.  Cool!

HP Recommended

Thank you for the update, @skhyatt.  I am glad that you finally solved your problem.  Yes, the Gigabit speeds require Cat 6 cable.  I honestly didn't think to mention that fact.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.