Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 700-215xt DT
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I hope someone can help me as I don't want to make a serious mistake and mess up my desktop. I have a 2014 HP Envy which originally came with Windows 7 and after updating to Windows 10 lost its Bluetooth & Wi-Fi adapters/capability.

Ok, so according to Microsoft after much checking, they determine I need an update to the BIOS from HP but my system is so old, I can’t seem to find it but I do know if I put the wrong BIOS to it, I will destroy my computer. My current System BIOS ID is 80.12.

I tried the HP driver page and after downloading & installing the UEFI tool I run Fast check and it tells me "Wireless Module Check-Not Installed"???

Am I just out of luck without paying for extended support or should I just go buy a wireless dongle and be done with it.  Any help anyone out there can give would be most appreciated.

Thanks so much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @Xoanon 

The parts list for your PC indicates that it can come with one of 3 model wifi adapters.

One of them is the dreaded Ralink RT3290 wifi/bluetooth adapter which on the newer builds of W10 completely disappears from the device manager.

My guess is that is what model wifi card your PC has because the Broadcom and Realtek cards listed in the parts list should work fine.

It is highly unlikely a BIOS update will resolve the problem. 

It happens with this card across multiple desktop and notebook PC's that have it.

I don't know how you feel about tinkering inside the PC, but if you want, open it up and check to see how many antenna cables are connected to the Ralink wifi card in there now.

If there are two antenna cables, you can upgrade to this model wifi card...

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0      HP Part # 710661-001

The card is readily available on eBay.

Do your search by the HP part number, not the model of the wireless card.

Here is the link to the manual.  It will not show you how to remove and replace the wifi card, but it will show you how to open up the PC.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02871896

The wifi card will by lying flat on the motherboard and will have one or two thin wires attached to it on either side.

it will be held down by one screw.  it will look like this...the illustration is much larger than the actual card, which is around 1.5" x 1".

The antenna cables snap off and on those two round gold contacts at the top on each side of the illustration.  Getting them on an off is the most difficult part of the operation.

If your PC only has one antenna cable connected to the wifi card, or you feel uncomfortable working inside the PC, then buying an external dual band wifi adapter that has support for W10 will work just fine.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-700-200-desktop-pc-series/5399651/model/666...

Has some BIOS updates.

There are 2 Main Board SSID's and you must have the correct one.

HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2AF3)
80.24 Rev.A 11.5 MB Aug 3, 2015
HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2AF7)
80.23 Rev.A 5.4 MB Jul 28, 2016

SSID WiFi Born On.png Mine is the 8130.

Also it shows the WLAN type to match for a potential driver download

RTL8723BE.

If in doubt please ask.

HP Recommended

Hi, @Xoanon 

The parts list for your PC indicates that it can come with one of 3 model wifi adapters.

One of them is the dreaded Ralink RT3290 wifi/bluetooth adapter which on the newer builds of W10 completely disappears from the device manager.

My guess is that is what model wifi card your PC has because the Broadcom and Realtek cards listed in the parts list should work fine.

It is highly unlikely a BIOS update will resolve the problem. 

It happens with this card across multiple desktop and notebook PC's that have it.

I don't know how you feel about tinkering inside the PC, but if you want, open it up and check to see how many antenna cables are connected to the Ralink wifi card in there now.

If there are two antenna cables, you can upgrade to this model wifi card...

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0      HP Part # 710661-001

The card is readily available on eBay.

Do your search by the HP part number, not the model of the wireless card.

Here is the link to the manual.  It will not show you how to remove and replace the wifi card, but it will show you how to open up the PC.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02871896

The wifi card will by lying flat on the motherboard and will have one or two thin wires attached to it on either side.

it will be held down by one screw.  it will look like this...the illustration is much larger than the actual card, which is around 1.5" x 1".

The antenna cables snap off and on those two round gold contacts at the top on each side of the illustration.  Getting them on an off is the most difficult part of the operation.

If your PC only has one antenna cable connected to the wifi card, or you feel uncomfortable working inside the PC, then buying an external dual band wifi adapter that has support for W10 will work just fine.

HP Recommended

Thank you all so much for the information!  You hit it on the head, it is the "dreaded" adapter you mentioned as I remember the name Ralink when I had Windows 7. Also, I do not feel at all comfortable opening the system as I know very little about the "guts" over computers but I do understand the Wi-Fi "dongle" route and will look for a good cheap one at Walmart in town.  That way I can just plug it in, forget all about this mess and print to the wireless printer in the other room.  One last thing, does anyone know how to erase the partition HP created in my UEFI section when I was trying to do the BIOS update?  I hate to have "clutter" lying around in my Windows.  Thanks again!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you on how to delete that partition that was created.

I am not familiar with how HP consumer desktop BIOS updates work.

I only have HP business desktop PC's, and I update the BIOS with with the update files on a USB flash drive, and update from a command within the BIOS, therefore bypassing Windows.

HP Recommended

Could you recommend a good WiFi "dongle", preferable USB and small form factor?  Sorry if my terms are off.  Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi:

There are so many USB wifi adapters to choose from, and the ones I used to use are outdated.

I switched them out for internal wifi cards that plug into an internal PCIe x1 slot on the motherboard and have an external antenna that you place on top of the PC or on a nearby desk.

I used to use Linksys wifi N adapters, which have worked great for me.  They are rather expensive though.

One like this would probably be a good choice.

https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Dual-Band-Wireless-Adapter-WUSB6300/dp/B00EDOG8NC

Other manufacturers make smaller models that hardly stick out of the USB port.  I don't know how good the reception would be though.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Adapter-Aigital-1200Mbps-10-7-10-12/dp/B0814L4P38/ref=sr_1_15?keywor...

The model I have was this one. 

It also comes with a USB extension cable and a cradle so that you can position the adapter within the length of the cable for best reception.

https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Dual-Band-Wireless-N-Adapter-AE3000/dp/B007ZLGXA8

You might want to check on eBay and see if you could find any of these for sale as a complete unit with the extension cable.

HP Recommended

Thank you kindly Paul for the information.  I really only need something to operate WiFi to connect to a "new" Wireless Laser printer in another room.  I like the looks of the Flash drive one and think it will do fine.  I appreciate you taking time to "shop" for me and to clarify the WiFi problem.  I spend hours with Microsoft and you answered overnight.  This forum is really great! Regards!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

HP Recommended

Hello, I found 2 dongles I think will work but am unsure which one to go with.  Could you advise?

https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/usb-adapter/archer-t2u-nano/

- OR -

https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/usb-adapter/archer-t2u-nano/

Thanks again!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.