Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 880-000 Desktop PC series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My computer does not receive close to 1gb internet speeds. The ISP representative conducted a speed test to the modem and informed me the modem was receiving speeds up to 927 MBs. The tech informed me to conducted a safe boot / selecting network and to run a speed test. Before the speed test, I was receiving 72 MBs and after the safe boot/speed test I was receiving up to 912 MBs. The tech stated that something within my computer is preventing me from getting the 1gb speed on my computer. I have deleted my antivirus from my computer and still getting speeds of 72 MBs.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

72 MBPS sounds like a single band wifi card maximum connection speed.

Are you sure you are connecting with the ethernet adapter when you run the tests?

HP Recommended

Yes, I am connected through the ethernet adapter when I run the test. This has never happened before.

HP Recommended

Yes, that is way too low.

Check the actual connection speed of the ethernet adapter.

You can do that by going to the Windows control panel>Network and Internet>Network and Sharing Center.

Under the View your active networks section, click on the ethernet connection and you should be seeing it connecting at 1.0 GB/S.

If it isn't, the only suggestion I can offer would be to make sure you have good cat 6 ethernet cables running from the cable modem to the router and from the router to the PC.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.