Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 Convertible 15-bq2xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

WiFi adapter: Realtek RTL8822BE 802.11ac PCIe Adapter

I bought new HP Envy x360 few days ago and I have a problem with wifi connection on 2.4G network. Wifi on 2.4G works only up to 2 meters from the router (or even closer if it is hotspot network). I can't see the available networks from a range of more than 2 meters.

I have made all Windows 10 updates, including wifi drivers - didn't work.

I have installed HP Support Assistant and updated the wifi drivers to the newest from HP version 2024.0.10.209 dated on 04.12.2019 - didn't work.

Also tried to update the drivers manually from HP support portal - didn't work.

I tried to connect with various networks. In every place there is a poor view of 2.4G networks. I have to be at 2 meters distance to see the network and - even closer to connect/use the network.

HP Network Check application can't solve the problem - diagnose is that there is no wifi network in the range.

Can it be that the network adapter antenna has not been connected to the adapter? Are there two antennas - one for 2.4G and one for 5G? I bought a laptop for my in-laws, 250km away, so I finally took the device to my flat where 5G network is everywhere available. There is no problem when 5G is available (adapter only sees 5G connections) but it can't be that there is no possibility to use 2.4G network, especially that my in-laws internet provider doesn't offer 2.4G routers.

The device is under warranty, but I don't want to wait for the device to be sent and sent back after weeks. Can I open and connect it freely? Where do I find the adapter? I work in IT but not as a support engineer.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Your issue description is rather confusing...

When you say 5G is 'everywhere' at your premises are you talking about 5GHz wifi or 5G mobile broadband?

Some wifi adapters have 1 antenna, most have 2. These are designated 'PRI' and 'AUX'. they both perform the same function. It is possible that they have not been attached, or attached backwards, so that when the adapter defaults to using the 'PRI' antenna, it's actually using the 'AUX' antenna which isn't as strong. You could try changing the preference from PRI to AUX in the properties of the WiFi card in device manager.

If it's under warranty, I wouldn't recommend opening it. If you can't resolve the issue through software, then I'd log a warranty case with HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.