Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 7740

When I click Restore Network Settings on my HP Officejet Pro 7740 it shows "This feature has been locked by the person who set up the printer"

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @MColon1

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I have sent you a private message with the reset steps, specific to your printer. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am curious why the answer to this (obviously COMMON) problem is sent to each person as a private message? As we all go through this virus lockdown, we must be patient with every service that we need, including tech support. But as I sit here with a basically new printer (less than 6 months old), installed by ME, for ME, and I get an error message saying I cannot connect to the network and attempts to fix it say "this feature has been locked by the person who set up this printer ."  NO!  That is absolutely NOT true! I set it up and no one else uses it; it remains in my (home) office which is also locked when I am not in it.  So there is no way anyone else magically "locked" this printer, and I certainly have no reason to do so.  In fact, I can find NO documentation on how to lock features even I did want to. So as I stated, this is obviously a common and annoying problem - a search online brings up many, MANY people with the "same problem".  So why is it that HP has decided that the best way to fix the problem for everyone, is to force each customer to create a ticket, state their problem and then WAIT to receive a "private message" from someone in support?  Why would you do that?  Here is a solution.... how about you create a sticky note on support, a simple ONE PAGE website, that lists how to reset the printer??  That way, each and every one of us who has the problem would be directed there and voila, we would all be off and running.  Even better, how about telling us WHY our printers were suddenly "locked" on us, making them unusable and forcing us to WASTE OUR TIME by having to go through all the installation and setup procedures AGAIN!!  Why does HP get to arbitrarily LOCK my printer?  My printer....NOT yours...I have paid for it and it is no longer any business of HP's unless I ask you to help with it.  I have owned, literally 100's of HP printers - they have been the only brand I would purchase for my businesses and customers.  First time I have run into this, and seeing the numerous complaints online about it, I am not impressed. I will be rethinking my 35+ year loyalty with HP printers....that I can PROMISE you!

At any rate, please answer the questions for me.  Why individual private emails to EACH customer? Why not a bold page that directs each person with this COMMON problem how to fix/reset their printer. Why did this "lock" happen and how can we be assured it will NOT happen again? I sure do not want to have to factory reset my printer and go through installation and network setup again and again!  Once is difficult enough.  Wow, I remember when installing an HP printer was a breeze and worked flawlessly, and I am not speaking of old and simple tech (although I do miss the simplicity of my HP IIIP). Sad that HP quality has nose-dived over the last several years; every OfficeJet AIO I have installed/setup in the last 8 years has been a nightmare...conflicting and changing IP addresses; multiple problems connecting the printer to other computers on the network, random lockouts, especially with Web Services (which I will not even begin to get in to)!

I await your reply. Thanks.

Steve

BTW....If I haven't made it clear yet, I strongly suggest you STOP this crazy, individual "private message" answers to common topics.  It would make life MUCH easier for all of us.... "us", you know, your CUSTOMERS!

HP Recommended

Hi @SRTaylor

The Semi-Full reset steps differs based on the printer model and if not performed properly might cause more damage than good. This is the only reason they are sent individually. 

Please check your private message. 

Thanks! 🙂

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.