Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have 200mbps speed with Comcast. All my devices get 150-200 except for two HP computers.  One is older and this one I just bought today.  I'm getting 50-60Mbps with my new laptop wirelessly. Hard wired I can get over 200.  Can someone please advise why I can't get 200 on my HP computers thru wireless?  

Product 2PE35UA#ABA

17-bs049dx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I am not up to date on what notebook PC's HP has on the market today.

My newest HP notebook is 5 years old.

What you want to look up the next time you are shopping for a notebook regarding its wireless specs, is to find one that has an AC wireless card and a gigabit ethernet adapter.

Here is a rule of thumb...anytime you see a wireless N adapter with a suffix that ends in 1x1 b/g/n such as what your notebook has, that means it is a single band, 2.4 GHz wifi adapter only.

Dual band wireless N adapters have suffixes that end in a/b/g/n or a/g/n.

Dual band wireless N adapters normally connect at 144 MBPS on the 2.4 GHz band, and 300 MBPS on the 5.0 GHz band.

Dual band AC cards...

1 x 1's connect at a max of 433 MBPS, and 2 x 2's connect at a max of 866 MBPS.

So, for example...I just randomly selected a model from your series below...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-15-bs100-laptop-pc/16851388/model/19460259/document/c0587700...

Next to the wireless connectivity specification you see this...Intel® 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (1x1) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 4.2 Combo

That will tell you based on what I posted above that it has a 1 x 1 wireless AC adapter, and you can expect to have a maximum connection speed of 433 MBPS in the 5.0 GHz band if you have a wireless AC router.

I happen to know the wifi model referenced is the Intel 3168 AC wifi adapter, and here is the link to the specs for that model wifi card.

https://ark.intel.com/products/94854/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-3168

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

The model you posted...17-bs049dx has a Realtek BGN 1X1 wifi adapter.

The maximum connection speed that adapter can achieve is limited to 72 MBPS, so 50 - 60 MBPS download is pretty good.

The ethernet adapter that model comes with is capable of connecting at speeds up to 1 GB/S, so that is why you are getting the full 200 MBPS download speed via the ethernet cable.

HP Recommended

Thank you.  Are there any HP computers that are capable of 200mbps speed under $500?  My wife has a $199 Dell laptop and it gets 150mbps.  Not sure what I should be looking for when buying a computer that can get me maximum speeds.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I am not up to date on what notebook PC's HP has on the market today.

My newest HP notebook is 5 years old.

What you want to look up the next time you are shopping for a notebook regarding its wireless specs, is to find one that has an AC wireless card and a gigabit ethernet adapter.

Here is a rule of thumb...anytime you see a wireless N adapter with a suffix that ends in 1x1 b/g/n such as what your notebook has, that means it is a single band, 2.4 GHz wifi adapter only.

Dual band wireless N adapters have suffixes that end in a/b/g/n or a/g/n.

Dual band wireless N adapters normally connect at 144 MBPS on the 2.4 GHz band, and 300 MBPS on the 5.0 GHz band.

Dual band AC cards...

1 x 1's connect at a max of 433 MBPS, and 2 x 2's connect at a max of 866 MBPS.

So, for example...I just randomly selected a model from your series below...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-15-bs100-laptop-pc/16851388/model/19460259/document/c0587700...

Next to the wireless connectivity specification you see this...Intel® 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (1x1) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 4.2 Combo

That will tell you based on what I posted above that it has a 1 x 1 wireless AC adapter, and you can expect to have a maximum connection speed of 433 MBPS in the 5.0 GHz band if you have a wireless AC router.

I happen to know the wifi model referenced is the Intel 3168 AC wifi adapter, and here is the link to the specs for that model wifi card.

https://ark.intel.com/products/94854/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-3168

HP Recommended

Thank you.  This helps a lot.  I new there was an issue when I got home and it connected to the internet without asking me 2.4 or 5G speed.  All the other devices that are fast are connected to 5G.  Now I know what to ask when I return this one and look for a new laptop.  

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.