Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
P7-1267c pavillion desktop
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Our old desktop HP model p7-1267c will no longer connect wirelessly. Troubleshooting says to use the switch on the front or back or a function key to enable wireless capability. There is no switch on the desktop; this isn’t a laptop. Or at least I can’t find it. No function key is labeled with an airplane or a tower and signal. I’ve tried function key 12 repeatedly as that’s typically the wireless key. No luck. I actually tried all the 

function keys. Under network and internet / change adapter settings it shows the wireless lan card is enabled.  The home network is still listed to auto connect. Other devices connect correctly to the network. It’s just this desktop. .  No idea what was changed as this is my mom’s pc. I was hoping she’d accidentally pressed some buttons. She cannot say if an update occurred. And she says she didn’t do anything but it must have been working cuz she checks email daily.  I’ve rebooted multiple times. Thanks for your suggestions. 

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @JKHarrell,

A warm welcome to HP Community!

Typically a wireless or network icon is located on the bottom right hand corner of the task bar, using which we can enable or disable WiFi. Is there a wireless or network icon located on the bottom right hand corner of the task bar?

Could you also check if the wireless driver is installed on you computer. You may use the following steps to check if the WiFi driver is installed:

1.) From the Windows desktop, click Start , and then type Device Manager in the search field.

2.) Select Device Manager from the list of results.

Double-click Network adapters.

Image: Network adapters

3.) Check if you see Ralink Wireless or any other wireless network adapter.

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

There is a network icon on the bottom right of my task bar. It has a red x imprinted over it. Device manager network adapters lists 802.11n wireless lan card and Microsoft virtual WiFi mini port adapter and Realtek pci Gbe family controller.   Every diagnostic tool I can find to run says wireless has been switched off. 

I found a program that said my driver was up to date but I cannot find that tool again. 

Thanks for for your help. 

HP Recommended

I should also state connecting wireless has worked for years. Apparently it worked one day and the next day when the desktop was powered on it no longer worked. Again, I don’t know if an automatic update was applied. But WiFi shouldn’t just stop working on its on accord. The router etc are good as a tablet and two mobile phones can connect to the network.

HP Recommended

@JKHarrell

We might be able to resolve the issue by deleting the existing WiFi driver and then install a compatible driver.

Here is how ti do it:

1.) From the Windows desktop, click Start , and then type Device Manager in the search field.

2.) Select Device Manager from the list of results.Double-click Network adapters.

3.) Right-click the wireless device and select "Uninstall". Please make sure that you check the box "Delete driver software for this device".

Once the driver is removed, download and install the wireless driver available here

Let me know how it goes!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This failed. I deleted the old driver as instructed and attempted to download it again. Unfortunately, the message received is "Your system does not meet the minimum requirements for this update." I've checked the minimum requirements and it doesn't list anything that I don't have. I seriously don't want to spend $1000 on a new computer because wireless isn't working. And btw, I had to buy an ethernet cable to hook up to the router in order to download the file.

HP Recommended

@JKHarrell

Could you check if you can install the Wireless driver using HP Recovery manager. Instructions on how to install a hardware driver using HP Recovery manager can be found here

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

still not working. 

I reloaded the driver from hp recovery manager. Rebooted after removing my Ethernet cable. The red x is superimposed on the network strength icon. Troubleshooting has same error message that I need to turn on wireless. Wireless lan card says it is functioning properly. Wireless networks are functioning as my tablet and mobile are connected. 

Is is there a setting somewhere on the desktop as on the laptop to turn the wireless on no off?

was an update recently applied that has caused this problem and if so can I back out of it?

again, thanks for your help. 

HP Recommended

@JKHarrell

I believe we can enable wireless from Control Panel. Here is how to do it:

1. Go to the Start Menu and select Control Panel.

2. Click the Network and Internet category and then select Networking and Sharing Center.

3. From the options on the left-hand side, select Change adapter settings.

4. Right-click on the icon for Wireless Connection and click enable
    Note: There may be more than one wireless network adapter icon as showed in the image below. Select the one that is associated with your network card. 

Keep me posted!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.