Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Desktop - TP01-0034
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Adapter for HP Pavilion Desktop - TP01-0034. The speed is slow, so I want to replace it with an Intel dual band 802.11ac adapter. What is a compatible model?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

There aren't any Intel dual band wifi adapters that will work with a single antenna that the RTL8821CE uses.

If you want a faster wifi adapter, you will need to install either a PCIe x1 adapter or a USB wifi adapter.

HP Recommended

Is there a single antenna Intel adapter that will work? Is a double antenna faster than a single antenna?

HP Recommended

I suppose this wifi card is the same regardless of the device, i.e., laptop vs desktop (I have a Pavilion Desktop - TP01-0034).

When I go to Device Manager, the description says Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Adapter but when I go to the Properties and click the Advanced tab, I see only 802.11d and 802.11n (listed twice for 2.4 and 5.2 Ghz). I don't see anything that says 802.11ac. The 'Wireless Mode' property says 802.11a/b/g. The driver version is 2024.0.10.209 dated 12/4/2019. I tried uninstalling the driver but it reinstalls the same driver. If it's a 802.11ac adapter, I would think there should be a property for 802.11ac.

HP Recommended

There aren't any Intel wifi adapters with a single antenna that would work in your PC.

There may not be any AC setting in the advanced settings for the card in the device manager.

it depends on the model of the card.

Did you try these drivers for the card?  These are the latest ones that I know of.

Wifi:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp103501-104000/sp103647.exe

Bluetooth:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp102001-102500/sp102395.exe

Check the actual connection speed of the card.  With an excellent signal on the 5.0 GHz wifi band with an AC router, it should be connecting at 433 MBPS.

You can check the connection speed by going to the Windows control panel>Network and Internet>Network and sharing center.

In the View your active networks section click on your wifi connection.

It will show the connection speed.  The max will be 433 MBPS.

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul. I got a USB adapter and am getting 867mbps. It's a Techkey 5dBi High Gain Antenna with a Realtek 8812BU driver. It's pure plug and play, I didn't have to install any drivers, Windows did that automatically. I've been using it for a week now and it always connects, no dropped signals.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Glad you were able to get a wifi adapter that works for you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.