Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 550-150qe
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I don't know if this is something that can be solved here. All I know is that my desktop seemed very fast when I first got it. Now, after several calls and service visits from AT&T, I'm wondering if something has happened to the desktop and not the WiFi service from AT&T. Just minutes ago I did a speed test on my desktop, and the same test on a laptop (also HP) and my desktop got 27 ms latency, 11.1 Mbps download speed, and 2.3 Mbps upload speed. The laptop using the same WiFi router got 26 ms latency, 28.2 Mbps download speed, and 12.74 Mbps upload speed. The AT&T guy earlier with the laptop connected to the router by wire was getting download speeds in the 50's I think. I guess I'm just looking for some ideas of what to check, add, remove, etc. that may fix the problem. Anything typical. As far as I know, the desktop is much better than the laptop, so the laptop shouldn't be winning in performance tests. I've had it for about two years now and use it everyday for work, etc. Others use it for games and video. I don't think it is overloaded or anything with programs or apps. I have McAfee protecting everything, and added Malwarebytes to get rid of everything else. Any ideas are very much appreciated. Thanks!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@sidney1994

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

I can't view the images and I hope you don't have any personal information in those images as that would be blocked,

That said, going by what you've written down about the Wifi single band 2.4ghz, Yes that is comparatively slower than the dual band that supports 5ghz.

I personally suggest getting a USB adapter to upgrade to the dual band rather than updating to internal hardware as that could get rather complicated and expensive, I suggest you check with any local retailer and you can get a Wireless USB adapter dual band for way cheaper.

I hope that helps,

If I have helped you resolve the issue, 

Feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

Followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Greetings @sidney1994,

Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are not happy with the wireless internet speed you are receiving on your desktop, is that right?

Not to worry, I will be glad to assist you. 

Have you tried any troubleshooting steps on your own?

Request you open device manager by doing a right-click on the Windows button. 

Uninstall the Wireless adapter by doing a right-click on it from device manager. 

Please delete the wireless adapter when prompted during the uninstall. 

Restart your computer couple times at the least and run HP Support Assistant to update all the drivers on your computer and check. Click here to know about HPSA. 

For other troubleshooting steps, please refer to this HP Article for assistance. 

Keep me posted. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I continue to get download speeds between 6 Mbps and 12 Mbps, depending on which network speed test I use (Google, AT&T, and a network speed test app from Microsoft Research). When the AT&T guy was here, I think he was getting 50 Mbps, but that was with a wired connection. Should WiFi be that much slower?

HP Recommended

@sidney1994

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand the Wifi Speed is too low,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you check your wifi card specifications if it supports high bandwidth?

While you respond to that, A few things to remember are mentioned below:

The compatibility of your router with the wireless card,

If the wireless card is 1x1: supports 2.4 GHz and below - slow connection and download/upload speed,

If it's 2x2 or more: support 5 GHz and above - Fast connected and speed.

Here are your Product Specifications: Click here for details.

Let me know how that pans out

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask any other queries as  well,

Considering, this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

{If this resolved your concern, Click on "Accept as Solution" & the Purple Thumbs up}.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This will be a two part answer, as I just saw the latest reply. Part one is just something I wanted to add, then I will check into answering the latest reply. Using the same speed test (off Google), I tested the wifi speed again, and then connected my computer to the modem with an ethernet cable. The first picture below is the wifi results, the second picture is the wired results. These were done within a few minutes of each other.

wifi speed.JPG

wired speed.JPG

HP Recommended

I'm not sure what the wifi card specification are, it came with the computer. In the device manager I believe it is listed as Broadcom BCM43142 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi Adapter. Is there a way to check?

Okay, I'm guessing that is what the link is for. Does this help?....

• Interface: M.2
  • Transmission standards: 802.11 b/g/n
  • Single band: 2.4 GHz (b/g/n)
  • Security:
    • IEEE and WiFi compliant 64 / 128 bit WEP encryption for a/b/g mode only
    • AES-CCMP: 128 bit in hardware
    • 802.1x authentication
    • WPA, WPA2: 802.1x. WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK, TKIP, and AES
    • WPA2 certification
    • IEEE 802.11i
    • Cisco Certified Extensions, all versions through V5
    • WAPI

So if this is a slow wireless card, how easy is it to upgrade to the faster card?

HP Recommended

@sidney1994

I can't view the images and I hope you don't have any personal information in those images as that would be blocked,

That said, going by what you've written down about the Wifi single band 2.4ghz, Yes that is comparatively slower than the dual band that supports 5ghz.

I personally suggest getting a USB adapter to upgrade to the dual band rather than updating to internal hardware as that could get rather complicated and expensive, I suggest you check with any local retailer and you can get a Wireless USB adapter dual band for way cheaper.

I hope that helps,

If I have helped you resolve the issue, 

Feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

Followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks! The pictures only showed the results of two speed tests. The wifi speed was 7.77 Mbps download, 6.08 Mbps upload, and 42 ms latency. With a wired connection it was 42.0 Mbps download, 10.4 Mbps upload, and 26 ms latency.

HP Recommended

@sidney1994

I appreciate the information,

And recommend you go for the upgrade to utilize a faster internet speed.

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask any other queries as  well,

Considering, this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

{If this resolved your concern, Click on "Accept as Solution" & the Purple Thumbs up}.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I also upgrade to gigabit speed, but my HP TS Notebook barely breaks 80mb download on 2.4ghz. Was also looking for a solution and it seems the Wireless USB dual band adapter is easiest fix, but if you want to get an accurate speed test wouldn't I need a usb ethernet adapter?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.