Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion P7-1155
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just today, my desktop will does not show an option to connect to internet by wifi.  The only option it shows is ethernet.  We have a wireless router and all other devices - laptop, iPad, phones, tv - are working fine on the wireless network.  And our desktop has been working on it until today.  How can I restore access to wifi connection?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That is exactly what happens.

For years everything is fine, and then one day, poof.  No more wireless.

If you are running the latest version of W10 (21H1), you got a whole lot further than most folks did.

Most of the Ralink wifi cards quit working around the time version 1803 came out.

There is no explanation that I could find as to the cause.  Outdated drivers perhaps.

The Ralink drivers were the original ones released for W10 in June of 2015 and were never updated.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

The parts list for your PC indicates that it comes with the Ralink RT5390 wifi adapter.

HP PartSurfer

Unfortunately, you won't be able to use the Internal Ralink RT5390 wifi card to connect to the internet anymore.

On the newer builds of W10, the wifi adapter completely disappears from the device manager, and the only fix would be to go back to W7.

I recommend you take this opportunity to upgrade to a dual band USB wifi adapter that also comes with Bluetooth, rather than to go back to W7.

Something like this...

Amazon.com: USB WiFi Bluetooth Adapter, 600Mbps Dual Band 2.4/5Ghz Wireless Network External Receive...

HP Recommended

Paul, thanks for the help.  But why would this stop working all of a sudden?  We've been connecting to the wireless network on this desktop for quite a while with W10 installed.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That is exactly what happens.

For years everything is fine, and then one day, poof.  No more wireless.

If you are running the latest version of W10 (21H1), you got a whole lot further than most folks did.

Most of the Ralink wifi cards quit working around the time version 1803 came out.

There is no explanation that I could find as to the cause.  Outdated drivers perhaps.

The Ralink drivers were the original ones released for W10 in June of 2015 and were never updated.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.