Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP model p7-1308t
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

We had a pretty good thunderstorm and lightning hit our electric pole and knocked out our electric. The cable for the Xfinity internet box is also on that same pole.  The xfinity router/modem box was dead as well as a roku box that was ethernet connected. My desktop computer is connected by ethernet.  My computer is working fine but after getting new router box and installing it, my computer wouldn't stay connected when it went into screensaver mode. Restarting computer worked for a few days but now it will not connect at all. Also found that husband's ethernet connected computer is doing the same thing. I have checked ethernet with laptop and it is fine so must be something with desktop computer. From reading a few other posts, I am confused as to the lingo involved with the internal workings of the computer. I am good with basics and software but when you guys start telling me to do stuff to bios and unhook junk from the insides I get a little anxious. I do know where the motherboard is and have hooked up a a cd player and cleaned my internal fans so can get inside the thing but be patient with me and use very basic terminology, please.

I'm using my laptop so don't know how I will run any of the diagnostics and give you the results.

What I have done:

Uninstalled and let windows reinstall driver It's from 2012 but windows says its current. I went to realtek's website but was overwhelmed as to what i needed to download 

Network connections shows a red X for Local Area Connection, says Network cable unplugged

Troubleshooting with windows says to plug in ethernet

Tried 3 different ethernet cables

Back of router/modem where cord is inserted is flashing amber. When I first plug it in it is green but after it tries to connect then it goes amber.

Have restarted and reset router/modem numerous times as well as computer.

Windows 7 Home Premium

Service pack 1

HP model p7-1308t

Processor Intel Core i5-3330 CPU @ 3.00GHz

Installed Memory 6.00 GB

System Type 64 bit operating system

Realtek PCIe GBE family controller Driver date is 2/16/2012, version 7.53.216.2012 

I appreciate any help with this. I do not have wifi on this computer but do most of my work on it. I find our wifi internet more sluggish so prefer Ethernet connection.  Regina

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

HI:

The ethernet chip on the motherboard took the hit as well.

The only way to fix it would be to replace the motherboard.

So, the easiest thing to do to get ethernet access again would be to purchase an external USB to RJ-45 ethernet adapter.

Something like this...Since your PC only has USB 2 ports in the back, the USB ethernet adapter will not achieve the full 1 GB connection.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-1000-Gigabit-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B00M77HMU0/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?hvad...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

HI:

The ethernet chip on the motherboard took the hit as well.

The only way to fix it would be to replace the motherboard.

So, the easiest thing to do to get ethernet access again would be to purchase an external USB to RJ-45 ethernet adapter.

Something like this...Since your PC only has USB 2 ports in the back, the USB ethernet adapter will not achieve the full 1 GB connection.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-1000-Gigabit-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B00M77HMU0/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?hvad...

HP Recommended

I actually have 2 usb ports in the front also. Does that make a difference?

HP Recommended

Hi:

Those, according to the specs, are USB 3 ports.

I personally don't like cables hanging out from the front of my PC.

If that doesn't bother you, then you can plug the USB ethernet adapter in one of those two USB 3 ports and it should provide the maximum connection speed.

HP Recommended

Well thank you so much, Paul! I think I requested the extra usb ports when I ordered it.  But you're right, I will probably put that on the back. The speed isn't as important to me as the staying connected while I am in the middle of doing something. My daughter is ordering me 2 of them as we speak through her Prime acct because my husband's desktop is doing the same thing and his was connected with an ethernet also.  Wish there was a fix like this for the roku but it won't even light up. 

Again, Thank You!!

Regina

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Regina.

I had that happen to me years ago.

No PC's affected by the lighting strike, but it blew up our microwave, hot tub motor, answering machine...Insurance deductible was $1K, so I had to eat the costs to get the stuff repaired/replaced.

HP Recommended

Hey Paul, just wanted to let you know I am on the desktop computer with that USB Ethernet Adapter!!! Took all of 1 minute to install drivers and get back online! 

Thanks Gaboodles!!! You're the Best!  😁

Regina

HP Recommended

Anytime, Regina.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Have a great weekend!

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.