Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Slimline Desktop - 270-a016
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Product: Z5M51AA#ABA

Issue: Just got 1 Gig Fiber this week. In preparation for upgrade, I did Ookla speed test last week on both my wife’s computer (listed above) and my computer (also an HP Slimline similarly equipped, but newer). Both computers are wired to a router, using 50-foot ethernet cables. We were on cable internet with an advertised speed of 400Mbps download, and on my computer I regularly had download speeds between 350-400. However, last week I found my wife’s computer was struggling to hit 250 download? Now, after fiber installation, I’ve tested my computer numerous times and always above 900Mbps—but my wife’s is still 250 or slightly more!

I’ve looked around on the HP Community site and haven’t found anything similar?

Actions taken—with no change:

• Swapped cables from router, and each computer still had same speeds as before

• Ran all “Fixes & Diagnostics” on HP Support Assistant

• Compared settings in Device Manager for Realtek PCIe GbE Controller, under Advanced tab, and settings on wife’s computer were same as on mine.

• Downloaded and installed new driver from Realtek website (dated 1/19/2022, driver 10.56.119.2002)

• From Device Manager, I uninstalled Realtek Controller, then did a scan for hardware changes, which reinstalled, configured, and started controller again (per events log).

• Online search of various tech sites didn’t really turn up steps that I haven’t taken.

• FYI, download and upload speeds on my computer (the one that works!) are now pretty similar, as expected on fiber. On my wife’s unit, the last couple speed tests showed download about 275, but upload of near 800?

My Thoughts:

• Visually, no problem that I can see at ethernet port, but because it’s integrated into motherboard, not replaceable, of course.

• Unless I can come up with something else to try, my next step is going to buy a TP Link USB to ethernet adapter that seems to receive high ratings online, and one of the specific uses is “to replace a broken ethernet port.” (The newest version of this device supports speeds up to 1 Gig.)

• If someone has some suggestions that I haven’t tried yet, I’d appreciate them!

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Make sure wife's system is not running two firewalls.  Possible McAfee or some other 3rd party firewall running concurrently with windows defender firewall.  

verify that wi-fi is not enabled and that the same network server site was used for both systems.

All the items you listed are the correct debug procedures.  

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community
I am a community volunteer and not work for HP.
If you find this post useful click the YES button
If I helped solve your problem please mark this as a solution.

HP Recommended

BeemerBiker, thanks for the comments. My wife has Defender turned off, WebRoot Secure Anywhere active, Windows firewall turned on, the same situation that I have on my computer. (I've just checked to verify that nothing has changed from what we've both had active.)

Wifi is disabled at Control Panel. I did enable wifi adapter and disable Realtek adapter this week to see what happened, and wifi runs OK, but much slower as expected. I then re-enabled the Realtek adapter and disabled the Intel wifi adapter. If by "same network server site" you mean running speed tests to same remote server, I've run tests to multiple servers and then compared results from each computer, and just another indication that the problem is 'something' specific to my wife's system.

I've ordered the TP Link USB to Ethernet adapter to see if I can prove it's a faulty ethernet port causing the problem. I'll post what I find once the adapter arrives and I install and test it.

Thanks for your suggestions!

HP Recommended

You might also look at your modem for errors. 

Example:  port 3 is down and there are a number of dropped packages on port 2

BeemerBiker_0-1654447032062.png

If you have a managed switch you might verify all the ports are all set to auto negotiate.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community
I am a community volunteer and not work for HP.
If you find this post useful click the YES button
If I helped solve your problem please mark this as a solution.

HP Recommended

Thanks again for your suggestions. As of last week when I went from cable internet to fiber, I no longer have a modem. I have an Optical Network Interface (ONI) which serves as a combo modem and router---although I chose to use my existing TP-Link AX1800 router and so the fiber installer "bridged" the ONI (which disables the wifi from their unit...I guess).

I also don't have a managed switch; I have fiber into the home connected to the ONI, my router plugged into the ONI, and then RJ45 ethernet cables running to each of our HP desktops. I have completely swapped ports (on the router) and cables to each computer, and the problem is only with my wife's computer---I've proven that regardless of which port or cable is used, my computer is fine. As I wrote previously, I've "stared and compared" every setting I can see that is in any way associated with the Realtek adapter, and her computer exactly matches mine.

The TP-Link USB to Ethernet adapter arrived in the mail today: On my wife's computer, I disabled the Realtek adapter, plugged in the USB to a 3.0 port, went to the TP-Link site, downloaded and installed the latest driver, then ran a speed test---even slower than using the Realtek! Download less than 200Mbps, upload less than 100Mbps. Enabled the Realtek again and plugged in the cable, and tests are back to what they were: 250-275 down. Took the USB adapter and moved to my computer, plugged it in, plugged the RJ45 cable in, and first speed test was 955 download, 806 upload!

Bottom Line: thanks for your suggestions and input. Discussed it with my wife, she says she can live with her system as it sits---she remembers the days of dial-up and DSL, and is happy that those things are in the past. She's not a gamer, mostly reads and watches YouTube videos with it.

Her computer is no longer under warranty (purchased it in 2018), and nearest HP Service Center is in Memphis (couple hours away). If we're making a trip that way, I may see how much they want for a diagnosis, but "cost-benefit analysis" may mean it's not worth it?

Again, thanks for your input! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.