Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion elite hpe
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Keyboard is going in sleep mode after short time. The first character typed in this mode is lost as the system is still sleeping. How can i change the time before the system goes asleep ?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Willy9052,

Welcome to HP Forums, 
This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries.

I understand that the keyboard is going to sleep mode.

Are you facing this issue after an update?

I suggest you uninstall 

1. Start Control Panel, click Hardware and Sound, and then click Device Manager.

2. Expand the node that represents the type of device that you want to uninstall, right-click the device entry, and click Uninstall.

3. On the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click OK to start the uninstall process.

4. When the uninstall process is complete, remove the device.

NOTE: On the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click the Delete the driver software for this device option to delete the driver package that was used for the device.

Then restart the computer.

If not update the drivers from the device manager.

Update from device manager. 

- In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
- In the list of devices, look for Keyboard
- Right-click the device and select Update Driver Software.
- Click Search automatically for updated driver software.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install the updated driver.
- Restart your computer to complete the installation of the updates. 

Eagerly waiting for the reply.

Have a great day.

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Proposals did not help.

Need software with the settings to enlarge time between typing last character and going asleep.

Thanks for an answer

Willy van Hoye

HP Recommended

@Willy9052

Hi,

as @Raj1788 is out of the office today, I'm replying to you. I appreciate your efforts and your patience. 

If the characters appear seconds after they are typed, this is lag or buffering problem in the communication/software. The wireless keyboard communication can become interrupted by other communications in the area. It may also be slow to respond if the computer is busy performing other low level tasks, such as scanning for viruses. Use the instructions in one of the following HP support documents, depending on your operating system, to correct this problem:

If the issue persists after checking the Filter Keys setting, test the keyboard on another computer, re-sync the connection between keyboard and receiver and make sure the batteries have enough power.

If there is a short delay from the time a key is pressed to the time the character displays on the screen, the Filter Keys function might be activated. The Filter Keys function provides a greater range of key press options to fine-tune key delays and prevent inadvertent key presses. To disable Filter Keys and return to the default keyboard behavior, use the following steps:

1. In Windows, search for and open Settings.

2. In the Settings, click Ease of Access.

3. Under Ease of Access, click Keyboard.

4. Make sure the Filter Keys switch is set to Off.

Figure : Filter Keys setting

Filter Keys set to Off

• The keys should now be more responsive.

Secondly, you may also, attempt the following steps:

• In Windows, search keyboard and click Keyboard control panel.

• Drag the Repeat delay slider to Short, and then click OK to save changes.

Figure : Changing the Character Repeat delay setting

Keyboard Repeat delay setting

I sincerely hope this information helps. Feel free to keep me posted.

Cheers! 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.