Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HPE-475 uk
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've had this product more than 7 years now and recently the wireless network adapter appears to have stopped working. I have no green wifi light on the front of the product and there is no wifi icon in Control Panel/Networks. Today I removed the adapter and then replaced it to check if this was a connection issue, but that made no difference.

The adapter is a Lite-On (I think) 802.11 wireless b/g/n PCI-Express x1 card. I believe these changed to a Ralink make.

My question is twofold: 1/ Can anyone suggest further checks I can make and 2/ If it isn't working, from where can I now get a compatible card

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

In other resources it appears you are correct in that uses a Ralink Rt3290 driver.  As much trouble that others seem to have with that device, I would recommend getting a more up-to-date 802.11 wireless b/g/n PCI-Express x1 card that has Windows 10  acceptance  and laying that old device aside.

Something similar to this.  Since you maybe a out-of the -USA, I gave you a world available device.

https://www.startech.com/Networking-IO/Wireless/PCI-Express-Wireless-N-Adapter-300-Mbps-PCIe-802-11-...

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

In other resources it appears you are correct in that uses a Ralink Rt3290 driver.  As much trouble that others seem to have with that device, I would recommend getting a more up-to-date 802.11 wireless b/g/n PCI-Express x1 card that has Windows 10  acceptance  and laying that old device aside.

Something similar to this.  Since you maybe a out-of the -USA, I gave you a world available device.

https://www.startech.com/Networking-IO/Wireless/PCI-Express-Wireless-N-Adapter-300-Mbps-PCIe-802-11-...

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the prompt and knowledgeable reply Dean. I've found the product you mention on eBay for £23.76 and free shipping.

I consider my issue SOLVED.

Regards

HP Recommended

Great! I love to help

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hello again Dean

I have just one small (I hope) issue with the recommended StarTech adapter. The original adapter has on the front edge of it a small plastic connector to which was attached a very fine two core wire (red and black intertwined) which disappears into the top front of the desktop. I don't know what it is for, but crucially I do not see that on any images I've seen of the StarTech product.

Would you know if this could present a problem?

Regards

Mike P.

HP Recommended

I assume the small wire to be the antenna for the old adapter's  WiFi signal.  From the picture of the StarTech adapter, it has the antenna s sticking out the back of the case.

This page has the old card and a picture.  It says "Supported antenna connections: Either 2 internal antennas or 1 external antenna" 

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/hp-pavilion-elite-hpe-400-desktop-pc-series/4269972/document/c0...

Assuming there to be no external antenna, then probably the internal one.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hi Dean

This is a little odd. The existing adapter does in fact have external connections for two antennas, but they were not supplied with the PC. So, the thin black and red wires that were attached to the small white connector at the top of the picture to which you have referred are perhaps related to the internal antenna. I would have thought that the description should say 2 external antennas or 1 internal antenna.

Either way, it would seem that the StarTech adapter simply has connections for two external antennas, which it would seem are supplied, with no requirement for additional attached wiring relating to internal antennas.

What do you think?

HP Recommended

I would assume the external antennas are supplied with the new card as pictured.

From the picture for the existing card, it is difficult to see any external antenna connections, but not to worry.  It will soon be a thing of the past.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.