Jaymex
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

m.2 wifi antenna install procedure for Z2 mini g3

HP Recommended
Z2 mini G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Z2 mini workstation arrived with no wifi card.  There is an m.2 slot for a mini size card (300 mm).  I have ordered an 

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 but there is no antenna in the Z2 system box,   so I need an install procedure or guide with sugested cable ways so that I can install the antenna cable before I install the card

6 REPLIES 6
joel_py
1 1 0 0
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same problem, I bought both things but the chassis of the z2 is surrounded by metal and has poor signal if the antenna left inside the box, I have the idea to leave the end of the antenna under the motherboard, in the others places I tried and I still do not get good signal.

I also tried to leave the end of the antenna on the sides but not very good signal
0 Kudos
Jaymex
Author
5 3 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Joel,  Very useful.  I also found out today that the recommended card from HP is the  Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265, 2230, 2x2 AC + BT, Vpro which is a newer card with a more complete BT spec.  BTW I could not get my Z2 to boot past the blue windows logo with the 7265 card installed.  I will post again after I get the new card.  I still expect to have a battle fitting the antenna onto the tiny connectors.  The first card went back to Amazon and they have refunded me.

0 Kudos
SvenJ31
3 3 0 1
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dear Jaymex,

Could you tell me if this works with the 8265?

Specs of HP says Wireless card is optional but requires factory configuration.

I would love to hear if this works.

0 Kudos
Jaymex
Author
5 3 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry no luck - had a friend look at the card and he has told me that the antenna sold with the card is not the right one.  The antenna conections are too big by I think 1mm.  We are trying to find smaller ones.  I am using the LAN connection which is fine for me.  I wanted the wifi for backup and for the bluetooth - I am using a dongle for that.  I will post when and if I get an answer to the problem. 

0 Kudos
SvenJ31
3 3 0 1
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Jaymex,

the right antena's name (on AliExpress) for Intel Wireless AC 8265 is "IPEX MHF4 2"

Hope this helps you.

I ordered mine, they will be deliverd in 15 days. i will let you know if they work for me

max-favilli
1 1 0 1
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Does it work? I am also looking for the right wlan board for my Z2 G3 Mini

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation