Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 24-x030
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

the computer doesn't see the network components. But it does if I plug in a wireless network adapter.  The computer doesn't see the ethernet cable plugged in. This system worked until the customer allowed a hacker into her computer. I have run the reset program (formats drive & reinstall the Windows 10 OS. Any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@dglocke

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Let's run this test:

Install the latest version of the HP Hardware diagnostics (UEFI) on your device using this link: Click here for details

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/pc-diags.html

Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.

Click Extensive Test.

Click Run once, or Loop until error.

While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

How did you reinstall Windows? Was it through HP Recovery Manager?

If no, please do this: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04758961

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I downloaded & installed the HP Hardware diagnostics (UEFI). The hardware diagnostics only test memory & hard drive and I ran both tests.  Shouldn't it test all components?

I found the following:

@Echo OFF
getmac
netsh lan show interfaces
netsh wlan show interfaces
netsh wlan show drivers
PAUSE
msinfo32
PAUSE
systeminfo
PowerShell -Command "Get-NetAdapter"
PowerShell -Command "Get-NetAdapter -Name * | Format-Table -View Driver"
PowerShell -Command "GIP -Detailed"
PowerShell -Command "Test-NetConnection"
PAUSE

After running this I received the following:

INFO: no network adapters found

the wired autoconfig service (dot3svc) is not running  (I started the service - no help)

there is no wireless interface on the system

hosted network status: not available

there is no wireless interface on the system

Hope this help you so that you can help me.

HP Recommended

I recommend you to contact the HP Support Team as this could be a wireless card issue.

Link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Note:  Select the country accordingly to get the contact details for support.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I guess it's possible that the wifi and ethernet could have been disabled in BIOS via software. Have you checked in BIOS to see if they're enabled/disabled? Otherwise God knows what a hacker could have done. I know you said you 'reset' the machine, but I would boot off the WIndows 10 media, wipe the partitions and start again.

You could also try to boot off a Hirens PE USB and see if the ethernet works then. That will eliminate the OS at least.

I reckon they've been disabled in BIOS though.

HP Recommended

I removed the drive & replaced it with one that I deleted all the partitions. Then used a flash drive provided by HP to restore the computer.  No help. Checked the bios. No help.  If I plug in a wireless adapter the computer recognizes it & I can access the internet.  Don't know what else to try.  Thanks for the help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.