Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion TP01
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Windows update broke my network system status when trying to update the other day

Network status says "no internet",  "not connected" on both Wifi & Ethernet 1Gb link. Depending on what you are looking at.

Issue: windows update, office, outlook etc. won't connect. They don't see the network and Believe the FAKE status.

BUT the browser (MS Edge) and Norton Updater etc.  connect on either network link with no problem what so ever.

So Wifi and 1Gb Ethernet do work and are connected and are fast.

if you use Apps/software that do not use the same network services stack as MS update, MS Office,  etc.. They work just fine.

How do I fix this OR Get an HP base image to start over and reload to factory status?

FYI - I reset the OS and tried both win rel. 2004 and 20H1. both had the same problem.

also went the HP Support asst. to update drivers which only helped the network  settings screen not crash, the network status is still the same.

this seems to be a known MS Win 10 Update problem. "internet not connected"

Anyone run into this?

so, How do I fix this OR Get an HP base image to start over and reload to factory status?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@fdevito -- 

> Network status says "no internet",  "not connected" on both Wifi & Ethernet 1Gb link.

So Wifi and 1Gb Ethernet do work and are connected and are fast.

if you use Apps/software that do not use the same network services stack as MS update, MS Office,  etc. they work just fine.

This is confusing. There is only one networking "stack".

From a command-line prompt, enter IPCONFIG /ALL and press Enter.

Then, copy-and-paste that output into this forum, to see the current stack, and the status of the various network interfaces (Toredo, IPv4, IPv6, WiFi, etc.)

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.   Please see the info  below:

1)   I'm now on Windows 10  ver 21H1 as of 1 hour ago.  It looks like the Network status issues are fixed ....... But I'm still testing.

2)  as for the Network Stack - Maybe it is all one stack,  but some apps do not use DNS services the same way and have deeper probing of DNS services and do not rely on the Network status to open/function. 

Like Edge - it bypassed the Network status and just worked when other apps would not work and just reported  "No Internet access" .

Below is a relevant section that  I copied from a Microsoft community response on this problem.    It attempts to explain why Edge and some other Apps don't get fooled by a false network status and why Apps like Windows Update, the Microsoft store etc. can get caught up/fooled with this issue.

(NOT my words)  - " an issue that might prevent applications from opening or cause other errors when applications use Windows APIs to check for internet connectivity and the network icon incorrectly displays “No internet access” in the notification area. This issue occurs if you use a group policy or local network configuration to disable active probing for the Network Connectivity Status Indicator (NCSI).  This also occurs if active probing fails to use a proxy and passive probes fail to detect internet connectivity."

FYI - the HP support apps would not connect directly either and reported the same “No internet access” response,  But if run through Edge - they had no problems at all.

This may provide some clarity.

HP Recommended

@fdevito -- some apps do not use DNS services the same way

and have deeper probing of DNS services

and do not rely on the Network status to open/function. 

I doubt the correctness of this statement.

Every application relies on DNS-servers that work correctly -- none of them directly use IPv4 or IPv6 addresses, because computers on the Internet do change IP-addresses, from time-to-time, without the risk of "breaking" all existing computers that still try to connect to a now-offline IP-address.

Example:

$ nslookup www.microsoft.com.
Name: e13678.dscb.akamaiedge.net
Addresses: 2600:140a:c000:586::356e
2600:140a:c000:58e::356e
2600:140a:c000:58d::356e
2600:140a:c000:58a::356e
2600:140a:c000:589::356e

One should never have a computer that is "hard-wired" to those IP-addresses.

Instead, send a DNS-query, and get the above results, and connect to one of the returned IP-addresses.

Without an active network connection, there is no connection to any DNS-server, and your computer is totally "offline", leaving you to play FreeCell or Solitaire.   🙂

Experiment: if your computer has built-in WiFi disable it. Disconnect any Ethernet cable from your computer. Then, try all of the apps on your computer, to see if ANY of them work without any active network connection. FreeCell may work, but E-mail & web-browsing & YouTube will not work. Period.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.