Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp pavilion desktop 510-a010
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

think it's a hp desktop problem sending the wireless info to the printer.  priinter works perfectly from 2nd computer in room and also prints with internal tests.  when i send something to print (from Word or Gmail) it sounds like it's going through, but then plain white page comes out quickly with nothing printed on it.  then it either says "paper jam" when there's no jam, or "user intervention required" but again, then prints fine from husband's computer.  I've unplugged printer for 10 minutes; done hp diagnostics on computer and printer several times; run malwarebytes finding no problems, checked spooler, reset printer network, uninstalled and reinstalled printer software, of course turned computer off and on a million times (problem has been going on for a month, with no obvious trigger.)  thanks!!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@WJRober

Welcome to HP forums, I see that your printer is not printing from the desktop.

• Provide the printer model number to product number?

Reply back with the requested information for further assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Sandy, thanks.

printer is hp officejet 3830 and computer is hp Pavilion desktop 510-a010

HP Recommended

@WJRober

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

Run the HP Print and Scan Doctor

HP provides a free tool called HP Print and Scan Doctor to diagnose and resolve printing and scanning problems. Download and run HP Print and Scan Doctor to quickly and automatically perform several troubleshooting tasks known to resolve this issue. When this link is clicked, HP Print and Scan Doctor is downloaded using your Internet browser's download capabilities.

Read and respond to the screens in HP Print and Scan doctor to automatically find and fix any printer problem. After you have finished using HP Print and Scan Doctor, try to print.

Create a manual connection

1. Print the report from the network settings or network setup menu.
  2. On the report printout, look at the network status for your network connection type (wired or wireless.)

Image: Example of a connected wireless network status.

• If status is connected, continue with these steps.

• If status is anything other than connected, such as Off or Disabled, then the printer is disconnected from your network. This is the reason your printer is offline. You must connect the printer to your network before you continue. For more help on how to set up a connection to your network, see the User Guide, search the HP website for your printer model and wireless or wired network install, or use the wireless setup wizard from the control panel of your printer if available.

3. On the report, find the IP Addresssubnet mask, and Default Gateway for your active (connected) network connection type. If your report has separate numbers for IPv4 and IPv6, then use the numbers listed in the IPv4 section.

4. From a computer connected to your network, find the URL(s) for Embedded Web Server (EWS) on the report and enter the URL into your Internet browser. If the webpage appears blank, use a different Internet browser.

Example of the URL for the EWS

5. Click the Network or Networking tab, and then open the section or page for your network type: wired or wireless.

6. Click Manual IP.

• If you see a Suggest a Manual IP Address button, click Manual IP address, and the Manual IP addresses are automatically filled out for you.

• If your page does not have a button to suggest a manual IP address, type the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway using the numbers shown in the report you printed.

Embedded Web Server on Network page with Manual IP selected

7. Write these new numbers on a piece of paper. You might need to use them later when adding a second printer device.

8. Click Apply, and then wait until the changes are confirmed.

Add a second printer device to Windows

1. Search Windows for devices, and then select Devices and Printers in the list of results.

2. Right-click the name of your printer, and then select Printer Properties.

The Properties window opens.

3. Click the Ports tab, and then click Add Port.

4. Select Standard TCP/IP Port, and then click New Port.

Printer Ports window with Standard TCP/IP Port Selected and the New Port button highlighted

5. Type the printer’s IP address that you wrote down earlier, and then click Next.

6. Select the new Standard TCP/IP Port from the list, and then click OK.

NOTE: 

You might see a second printer device display in the list of devices. Do not uninstall either printer device. Leave both printer devices.

7. Try printing, scanning (if your printer has a scanner), and opening the HP Printer software.

You can refer to this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sandy, thank you.  I got as far as step #8 and then got this:

Wireless (802.11)

Network Address(IPv4)

x  invalid input 

click "ok" to go back.

HP Recommended

Hi @WJRober

Since @sandytechy20 is not in the office, I will take this forward.

Restart your printer router and your devices and try once again. Click on OK to go back and then try to save the settings once again. It should get updated.

Keep us informed.

Cheers

MathewT
I am an HP Employee 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.