Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
pavilion p6-2175ea
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

What is the best wifi card to replace my existing card as it has stopped working

Ralink model RT5390

HP Part No 638403-001

WN6605RH-H8

Computer Serial No [Personal Information Removed]

Model No p6-2175ea

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Doing a direct swap with a dual band card won't work properly with only one antenna wire present.

I would go with the dual band PCIe x1 AC option if you don't want a USB wifi adapter.

Ubit AC 1200Mbps Bluetooth WiFi Card,Wireless WiFi PCIe: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

The illustration of your PC's motherboard shows that it has two internal 9 pin USB connectors.

The black colored items on the bottom right corner of the motherboard picture.

One of them should be free.

HP Pavilion p6-2175ea Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

If you want Bluetooth, you connect the Blueooth cable that comes with the wifi card to one of the USB connectors.

I would recommend removing the Ralink card before installing the PCIe x1 card, to free up system resources and to eliminate connecting to the wrong wifi device.   

Wrap the loose antenna wire around another wire to keep it from touching the motherboard.  Zip tie or tape it.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

Upgrading the existing wifi card would only be possible if your PC has two antenna wires connected to the RT5390 wifi adapter.

Open up the PC and confirm how many antenna wires are connected to the Ralink card.

If there are two, you can upgrade to this model card...

Broadcom BCM4352 802.11ac 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 combo   HP part # 724935-001.

The card has a max throughput of 867 MBPS on the 5.0 GHz wifi band with an AC router.

You can probably still find this model wifi adapter on eBay.

You can also upgrade to this dual band N card which may cost a bit less, but will only have a max of a 300 MBPS throughput on the 5.0 GHz wifi band...

Broadcom BCM943228HMB 802.11 a/b/g/n 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0     HP part # 730668-001

If your PC only has one wifi antenna, then you can upgrade to dual band by either purchasing a dual band USB wifi adapter or a dual band PCIe x1 wifi adapter if your PC has a free PCIe x1 slot.

The motherboard specs show that there are three PCIe x1 slots.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your fast reply!!!

I can confirm that the wifi card has only 1 antenna wire, I have looked on ebay and all cards have 2 antenna post's on and do not seem to be compatible

I would like if possible to replace the card, 

HP Recommended

desktops you can buy any PCIe  card wifi modern with w10 support

and run it any any desktop made.

go 802.11AC

AC speed.

its laptops that are fussy, not desktops. 

with external antenna's and all.   some are amazing like that.  (range max)

go to newegg and shop.  ( endless choices,  and performance, )  GO :AC up

AC3

ac4

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Doing a direct swap with a dual band card won't work properly with only one antenna wire present.

I would go with the dual band PCIe x1 AC option if you don't want a USB wifi adapter.

Ubit AC 1200Mbps Bluetooth WiFi Card,Wireless WiFi PCIe: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

The illustration of your PC's motherboard shows that it has two internal 9 pin USB connectors.

The black colored items on the bottom right corner of the motherboard picture.

One of them should be free.

HP Pavilion p6-2175ea Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

If you want Bluetooth, you connect the Blueooth cable that comes with the wifi card to one of the USB connectors.

I would recommend removing the Ralink card before installing the PCIe x1 card, to free up system resources and to eliminate connecting to the wrong wifi device.   

Wrap the loose antenna wire around another wire to keep it from touching the motherboard.  Zip tie or tape it.

HP Recommended

THANKS VERY MUCH !!

I am back up and running

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.