Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 500-259
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I saw a lot of request to solve the slow Broadcom BCM943228HMB 802.11abgn 2x2 Wi-Fi Adapter but no real solution.  Am I right to conclude that we are stuck with a faulty product and HP wash theirs hands about it?  My new desktop is downloading at half the speed of my very old (10 years old) laptops and my old mini-Mac, and of course, much slower than my iPads.  My desktop is under Windows 8.1, and I will never move to Windows 10.  My old laptop is running Windows XP and works fine, including the wi-fi.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Folks had the same issue with the HP 350 G1 business notebook with that card, including me.

Painfully slow.  Installing the updated driver resolved that issue for most of us.

For some reason, the HP consumer support pages aren't working, so I can't see what the latest driver version that is available for the BCM wireless card on your PC's support page.

This is the latest BCM943228HMB wlan driver from the 350 G1's support page.

If this is not the version you have, you may want to give it a try.

6.30.223.267 Rev.A (17 Sep 2015)

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp72501-73000/sp72931.exe

HP Recommended

Thanks for your quick reply.  Although Windows assured me that I had the latest driver, it was the 6.30.223.170.  So, I installed 6.30.223.267.  However, the speed is still slow.  It varies from 2 to 4 Mbit/s.  On all my other computers, the download speed is 10Mbit/s.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Some folks had reported that the Bluetooth driver could also be the culprit.

See if updating the BT driver makes a difference.

12.0.1.160 Rev.A (2 Mar 2015)

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp70501-71000/sp70725.exe

That card should be connecting at 300 MBPS on the 5.0 GHz band, and about half that (usually 144 MBPS) on the 2.4 GHz band.

Which means you should be getting whatever download speed your internet service provider is giving you.

2-4 MBPS is horrible.

If updating the bluetooth driver doesn't work either, unfortunately, I don't have any other suggestions for you to try.

I removed that card from my notebook, and installed an Intel 7260 dual band wireless N card with bluetooth, so I could use Intel WIDI to screen mirror my PC to my TV wirelessly.

But once I had updated the wireless driver, the Broadcom card had always worked just fine for me.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I am now down to 0.5 Mbit/s !  even with the new 6.30.223.267 pilot.  My 2 bluetooth devices have the following pilots: 6.3.9600.17931 and 6.3.9600.17826, which seem to be different from the one you suggest,

HP Recommended

Get rid of it!

I have a 4 yrs old upstairs desktop HP Pavilion 500t - Win 10 Pro 64-bit (500-205t) with the same wifi adapter which been giving me slow speed and wifi drops for months. Even after updating with the latest stable drivers using Driver Talent, I still have consisting low download speed averaging ~20 Mbps on a 75 Mbps ISP plan.

Suspectedly I plugged in a $15 Panda Wireless PAU06 300Mbps N USB Adapter bought on Amazon for my son’s laptop, and almost double my download speed to ~37 Mbps. My ARRIS / Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem and Netgear N600 Wireless Router - Dual Band Gigabit (WNDR3700) are downstairs. I also confirmed with iphone & it has ~40 Mbps. Good luck.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.