Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

O.K. those who have been reading the post I have been putting on here know I've been having glitches.

Here's what is happening,I download one set of updates they go fine.

The nex time I get locked up in the install process of the updates.

I then run troubleshoot for update probelms I get the data base error meassage once I've toruble shot as admin.

I then find an article on line from April 2014 talking about this problem,this fellow states at that time microsoft announced plans to no longer support security updates  the operating system I bought in 2015 with this HP machne.

An article released by the same person writing for a tech magazine stated just a few days latter that in May 2014 that a patch would be released for security updates (KB2919355).

I need to know or would like to know if microsoft informed HP,and other manufacturers that this patch would be needed for the OEM operating systems and do I need to look this up and download it as a stand alone install?

If I do need to do this do I need to go into command as admin and.

NET STOP WUAUSERV,as well as

NET STOP BIT SERV

To install this stand alone if in fact I do need this patch at all?

I have been informed 4 different times via update that updates are available upon starting the machine which is normal but every other time the install process has locked,I then used the trouble shooter and have been given the error's mentioned above.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

> I then find an article on line from April 2014 talking about this problem,this fellow states at that time microsoft announced plans to no longer support security updates  the operating system I bought in 2015 with this HP machine.

Windows 8 was released on October 30, 2012, and Microsoft has announced that it would no longer be supported at all after January 12, 2016.

Note that this is "EIGHT-POINT-ZERO".

Microsoft expects that all users apply the free upgrade to Windows 8.1 -- "EIGHT-POINT-ONE".

Microsoft has announced:

Mainstream Support End Date:  January 9, 2018  
Extended Support End Date:  January 10, 2023 

Mainstream support means that one can report any functional problem with Windows 8.1 before that date, and Microsoft will try to fix it.

Extended supports means that one can report any security-related problem with Windows 8.1 before that date, and Microsoft will fix it.

> An article released by the same person writing for a tech magazine stated just a few days latter that in May 2014 that a patch would be released for security updates (KB2919355).

Yes, Microsoft releases security-updates for Windows 7 & 8.1 & 10 every month.

See:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2919355 -- this is an update for Windows 8.1, released in May 2014.

This description does state:

Important All future security and nonsecurity updates for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 require this update to be installed. We recommend that you install this update on your Windows RT 8.1-based, Windows 8.1-based, or Windows Server 2012 R2-based computer in order to receive continued future updates.

i.e., install this first, before trying to install other updates.

Download instructions for this fix are listed in the above KB ("Knowledge Base") article.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.