Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Z440
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I just wanted to post a solved issue with a Z440 and a recently occurring 928 Fatal Error. I believe the problem was the small power plug going into my AMD W7100 Video Card from the power supply. It had not been fully plugged in properly from the factory and was loose. It popped right off when I touched it. It was making enough of a connection for the card to work but when the card needed to pull some power while running a video demanding program. It caused the computer to crash. Thanks to whoever assembled my machine at HP. QA needs to check on this persons work. I would be happy to provide my machine info if somebody wants to check it out. The connector on one of my SSD's is bent as well. It looks like someone pushed too hard on it when it was plugged in. The second SSD plug looks fine. The tab on my video card that slides into the chassis where the card outputs are located was all bent up as well. This simple little oversite caused all my frustrations below if you want to read on! This problem may be caused by a software issue but if you tried updating everything and the other suggestions you find don't work, then maybe this will help! Look at potential hardware issues like loose connections on your boards. Possibly weak power supply. You may have a faulty card or faulty slot on the mother board. Try a different slot if available.

I purchased my Z440 from HP in September of 2016 for the purpose of running my business and practicing CADD. My issues started two weeks ago. While running AutoDesk Inventor 2016 software, as I was moving a 3D model around in the program, the computer crashed to a black screen. The computer would reboot and seem fine until I again was performing a video display demanding operation with Inventor. I started researching online. I read about slowing down the PCI slot from the bios as a possible fix or upgrading the bios and drivers. These were all sensible ideas. So I installed the latest bios update and rebooted. So i tried changing some bios settings and things went sideways from there! The computer didn't want to reboot at all. So I reset the latest bios back to factory defaults. Then it booted but once back into Windows the computer wouldn't reboot by selecting restart. It would hang up at the boot HP Blue Ball logo screen. Pressing the power button and rebooting did work. So i started thinking the best thing to do was to perform a factory recovery. If you are experiencing the 928 error be careful performing a recovery because near the end of the recovery the computer crashed and displayed the 928 Fatal Error code. Now I was royally screwed. Stopping and shutting down in the middle of a recovery apparently corrupted my hard drive. The HP recovery would not work from the UEFI. I tried everything but the only way to get things working again was to make a Windows repair disc on my old HP and purchase a new copy of Windows 10 USB to reinstall the OS. It was a complete mess! At some point during all of this, I decided to open the cover and take a look around. That is when I discovered the loose plug on the video card and the bent plug on one of my SSD's. After reseating the card, checking all of the plugs and making sure everything was tight, I performed the re-install of Windows and all of my programs. I ran Inventor and guess what, no 928 PCI failure! I did install the latest drivers for everything once I got the computer booting properly again but I think that stupid plug was the root of all my problems. Hope this helps someone out there. I needed alot of help and I found it by searching the net so I just wanted to give back!

Best of luck!

AL

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.