Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Z820
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I installed 128GB ECC Registered memory (16 x 8GB) in my HP Z820. But now I am getting an error on one of the memory socket at bootup: 942 - Memory Training Error (Dim 6, CPU 0) Code 3014.

I removed the memory stick, blew some canned air on socket, and reseated it, but I get the same error.

I don't think it is the memory itself, because I moved the memory stick to another slot and it still says there is an error on the same Dim socket 6.

Windows 7 reports 128GB RAM and seems to run fine. I ran the HP memory test from the motherboard BIOS and it passed. I also ran Memtest86 for 48 hours and it also reported no errors.

I think the memory is probably ok, but I am not sure what would trigger the error. There was a 4GB memory stick in Dim socket 6 before, and it never complained.

My best guess: could an 8GB stick be using more of the connections in the Dim socket than a 4GB stick and one of those pins is faulty?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

SCasarella, welcome to the forum.

According to what I have read, the Training error can be caused by the memory seating, memory itself or memory slot.  I suggest reseating the memory module to see if that helps.  If not, you may want to contact HP Customer Support for help.  You might try removing the listed module to see if the computer will boot without it.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

I have encountered similar 942 - Memory Training Errors with various Codes (3014, 301C, 1501) several times since year 2013 in my own Z820 Workstation.

In all cases the cause was in the 8GB ECC memory sticks (32GB in all). When replaced (one by one over 3 years) with good original HP sticks, the errors ceased to appear until the next stick went bad in its turn.

In all cases the appearance of 942 - Memory Training Errors at computer startup was accompanied by a huge number of Event 47 warnings referring to Memory Machine Corrected Errors in Windows 7 System event viewer, as well as Event 20 WHEA Kernel errors. (WHEA means Windows Hardware Errors).

At some instances the faulty 8GB sticks failed to appear in System Information, leaving only 24GB active, but in most cases they remained active even though they continued to cause Events 47 and 20 during Windows operation.

In all cases the memory tests using HP Vision Memory Diagnostics Offline Edition for CD (latest edition is version 2.22.1) did not discover the faulty memory sticks.

The only remedy was to replace with good memory sticks of the same type (there are several manufacturers but they all carry the same HP part number), so HP Support should pick good memory sticks and test on-site before deciding that the errors are gone. (Assuming that your Z820 is still under warranty or a valid service agreement).

I know that there have been similar reports over the years referring to '942' errors in Z420, Z620 and Z820, and in some cases they blamed the slot/socket rather than the stick. If that is the case as you hint in your description then the motherboard may be at fault.

If there are still unused memory slots in your Z820 motherboard, you may try to move the last 8GB stick to another slot even if it is not recommended as far as symmetrical placement of memory sticks in memory channels is concerned. Again, HP Support should be consulted.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.