Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello everyone,

Less then a month ago I purchased a a6650f with Vista 64 bit. It had been going well until earlier today. After I did several shut downs I ended up with a problem. Whenever I start up the computer HP Recovery Manager loads. I don't want to do a system recovery and lose my data. But if I click cancel, windows just continues to load and takes me back to Recovery Manager.

I can get into setup, the f8 f9, f11 etc. options. But chosing any, including safe mode just continues to load recovery manager.

Also selecting "run a computer checkup" in recovery manager (since that is the only option besides a system recovery) causes the machine to reboot and load recovery manager again. 

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Can you get into the BIOS? press tap F10 upon startup after doing a power drain (shut down --unplug power--hold on button for 7 secs to drain power -plug in again and startup) In bios push F5 reset defaults -yes-- than go to your harddrive listed --enter--enter smart support--enter short smart test-- check for error messages. If any errors you have a problem with your hardrive.

When recovery manger comes up can you click on advanced options? From there you can go to system restore. If not the recovery manger will ask if you want to backup your files before it does the recovery. Try that, if backup fails it won't go thru with the recovery either.

Let me know if anything works

Kudos appreciated if question answered or solution provided
HP Recommended

Hi Erny,

Thanks very much for your reply. Yes I can get into BIOS. And I reset the defaults and checked the hard drives. Both (I put in my second one from my previous computer) test as being fine. Once I exited BIOS and windows continued to load the Recovery Manager came on once again.

Yes I can get into the advanced options in Recovery Manager and in that section there are two options "Run a computer checkup." and "Recover your computer to its original factory condition".

When I click on "Run a computer checkup" all that happens is that the computer starts again, windows starts to load again, and HP Recover Manager loads again.

If I select "Recover your computer" then I get taken to a second screen asking if I would like to perform a system recovery. I can choose "yes" or "no I would like other options".

If I choose "no, I would like to see other options" I get a screen saying to contact HP Support and saying that "In most cases, recovering your hard disk will fix the problem." That is that last page available. (I have to push the "finish" button. (Which again resets.)

Clicking on "Yes" started the system recovery. There was no option on going through without backing up the files.

Interestingly it told me that the system restore is complete, but when I clicked on "finish" and the computer restarted It went back to the HP Recovery Manager again.

So now it looks like the problem is more involved that I had initially expected.

HP Recommended

Interesting-- a new machine like that should have all kinds of options in recovery manger-like restore, reinstall software programs, reinstall hardware drivers, etc. Do you think it might be starting from your second harddrive which I assume has an earlier version of windows on it? Anyway try reseating the Sata connections on the hardrives-make sure there is not a disk in you dvd player. The smart short test came up with no errors? Try the long tests in Bios--just on your C;\ drive harddrive-- it seems like a hardrive failure to me.

Kudos appreciated if question answered or solution provided
HP Recommended
I have the same issue - booting from the hard drive invokes Recovery Manager - was there any resolution to this?
HP Recommended
The issue seemed to be related to the hard drive from my old machine. Once the old drive was wiped the computer has worked fine for the most part. (Other then an annoying occasional asking of me to confirm my copy of windows is genuine.) Luckily there were a few days before the problem started happening where I was able to backup most of the stuff on my old hard drive to disc.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the feedback. Actually I'm doing all this for a friend. He has small children and the laptop - a Presario C700 - had been dropped a few times. It now has new controller and sata drive. Booted the recovery cd, which reloaded vista, then rebooted and prompted for language, userid etc. Once entered it boots itself again and goes back into recovery manager. I don't see anything in the bios menus for specifying a particular partition to boot from. My next idea is to burn a Fedora cd and boot from that and see what partitions are on the drive. Any other ideas welcome.

Regards,

Richard.

HP Recommended
Eventually found a solution for this - after powering off ready to boot Windows, removed the battery and waited a couple of minutes. On next power on, everything started working as I'd expected to days ago!
HP Recommended

Working on my sons Laptop. HP Pavillion dv5. He informed me he had a Virus called "System Security 2012" I have seen this before and it was easily removed by CounterSpy. However this time it is FATAL. Ending up at the Restore screen every time. Function keys are disabled.

@RicSib wrote:
Eventually found a solution for this - after powering off ready to boot Windows, removed the battery and waited a couple of minutes. On next power on, everything started working as I'd expected to days ago!

Not exactly sure where to go from here but if i find out I will post. Good Luck.

HP Recommended

I have this problem to i have a hp pavilion p7 notebook with a dualboot of windows 7 and windows 8

But my windows 8 works perfectely but my windows 7 not it give a xp skin when i tried to login and recovery manager always starts when i boot windows 7.

The windows 7 is installed on my c: drive and windows 8 on my D drive in a partition.

Can somebody help me?

Leander

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.