Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
z420 Workstation

Hi, Can anyone advise as to where i can get the older BIOS v3.50 which i believe contains the CPU Microcode update for the v2 Xeon's for the HP z420 Workstation.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Latest BIOS rev for z420 is 3.88

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5225034&swItemId=wk_149656_1&swEnvOid=405...

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

Hi and thanks for the reply but already have BIOS v3.88 installed, i am trying to get hold of an older version  of v3.50 as it may contain the microcode update to support v2 Xeon cpu's.

HP Recommended

a newer BIOS would support all the processors supported by previous BIOS releases, including the appropriate microcode. No need to get back to earler BIOS

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

Agree with soccer_dan 100%.  The newer BIOS versions have included the older microcode, and older listed processors can still work fine with the newer BIOS, including even with the newer motherboard version 2 detailed below.

I'm hoping you know that there are two versions of these workstations (Z420, Z620, Z820) and that the newer versions are the ones that can run the Intel V2 processors.  HP does not have an official different name for the earlier vs later motherboard version ZX20 series workstations, but we in the forum here call the older type the "version 1" or v1, and the newer type the "version 2" or v2.  The easiest way to tell if your Z420 is the older or newer type is to look in BIOS at the "Boot block date".  If yours is 12/28/11 you have a HP v1 Z420, and if it is 3/6/13 you have a HP v2 Z420 which can run the specified Intel V2 processors.  The HP v2 Z420 can also run all the original Intel V1 processors HP has certified for the v1 Z420.  A bit confusing.....

It is unfortunate that in the QuickSpecs for these workstations HP does not clarify this issue...... the newer QuickSpecs ignore the original version, and I guess they expect you to magically know this stuff and go to the older QuickSpecs for info on the original release.

There is no way to upgrade your Z420 to a revision 1 workstation if you have an original, unless you do a motherboard transplant.  Here's the two pictures for original Z420, versus revision 1.  I don't have the dates for the Z620 or Z820 handy right now:

Z420 12-28-11 Boot Block Date .jpg

Z420 3-6-13 Boot Block Date.jpg

What you got?

HP Recommended

Hi and thanks for the replie's,  i have now sorted this problem by fitting a different spares number which had the updated microcode in the boot block.

What made this tricky was that another engineer had fitted 4 systemboards all with the same sps number 619557-001 which HP say was fitted to the serial number of z420 but they all  would not boot due to the v2 XEON CPU not detecting correctly, the last of these 4 systemboards  would boot ok with a v1 XEON fitted and the boot block was 2011, so what i did was ordered another systemboard with sps 708615-001 which part surfer listed along with 619557-001 for the product number of the z420.

Just incase you was wondering the v2 CPU is the original spec as sold by HP and not upgraded.

So, if the original systemboard from HP was 619557-001 so why then the following 4 systemboards with the same sps number not detect the v2 cpu.??

There must be a way to update the microcode on these systemboards!

HP Recommended

1.  The microcode does not reside in the boot block.  It is a hidden part of BIOS, and you want to load the latest 3.88 BIOS as the only practical way to get the latest microcode.  Rarely HP has released a microcode as a separate updater..... not ever for the Z420.  If you have an original version of the motherboard installed currently then the latest microcode likely will not help you much if at all, but other BIOS improvements are worth having, in my mind.  So, get that now, and install it.

2.  The boot block date is the easiest way to see if you have the original or the newer revision 1 version of the motherboard.  Only if you have the latest of the two boot block dates will you be able to run the later v2 versions of the processors on that motherboard, and you also need to choose from a processor that HP specifically has approved for that revision 1 later motherboard.  There may be some very rare exceptions, but don't count on it and don't blame HP if you end up wasting funds.  They don't actually "support" processor upgrades from what you had on the original motherboard that came with your workstation.  Having said that many of us follow these rules and succeed with HP-approved processor upgrades.

3.  You cannot update the boot block date..... it is locked to the motherboard, and even if you get the latest microcode by updating to the latest BIOS you will not be able to run the newer HP-approved v2 processors if you have the older boot block date.

Hope this helps......

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.