Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion h8-1209el
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everybody,

I would like to update the graphic card on my hp h8-1209el. Looking on the internet I noticed that many of you have come across important problems with the compatibility of new generation graphic cards. I myself have had some, I recently bought a new power supply XFX 650W and an nvidia gigabyte gtx 1070. I installed all the components but during the booting process, the computer gets stuck on the HP writing (I can't even get to the bios). I'm concerned that there are no BIOS updates for my pc and it's the “legacy” kind. At this point I want to ask: which is the best graphic card I can install whilst keeping the new power supply?

Specs

Cpu: Intel core i7 2600

Ram: 16 GB

HDD: 2TB SEAGATE

PSU(new): XFX 650W full wired

GPU(temporary): nvidia gt 210

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@samsci98

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion HPE h8-1209el Desktop PC and have installed the GEFORCE GTX 1070 graphics card and an XFX 650W PSU. I read that the PC does not boot into Windows and is stuck on the HP logo screen. 

HP does not recommend any upgrades to the existing hardware. However, if you wish to upgrade then you may do so at your own discretion. 

I did some research on this case and found that the GEFORCE GTX 1070 graphics card needs a PCI x16 3.0 slot. I could not locate on the motherboard if the PCI x16 slot is 3.0 version. Secondly, the GEFORCE GTX 1070 needs an 8 pin supplementary power connector attached from the PSU as it needs more power. 

I suggest you to contact a technician locally to perform an upgrade rather than doing it yourself as it may cause other issues with the motherboard. 

I hope this information helps. Let me know if you have any questions. Cheers!

HP Recommended

Hi MKazi, 

Thank you for your answer, one last question: leaving the gtx 1070 , wich video shield complatible could i buy ?   i would need some example if it is possibile...

HP Recommended

@samsci98

You're welcome. 

May I know what you mean by a video shield?

Cheers!

HP Recommended

i'm sorry, I meant GPU!

HP Recommended

@samsci98

That's okay.

It is difficult to say which one you should go for because there are a lot of PCI Express x16 graphics cards to choose from. But in general I can suggest you the following:

• Firstly you need to choose a PCI Express x16 graphics card.
  • Few graphics card need more power to operate then the one presently installed in the PC. Very importantly, few graphics card have an additional power port on them. Therefore please ensure that the PSU has a supporting power cable that can be connected to such graphics card.

Meanwhile, I did some more research on your previous post and found this HP document which gives solution for computers that do no start after installing a graphics card.

Hope this information helps. Take care!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.