Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Thanks for the heads up, please pass on to your superiors that UEFI is a real pain in the backside and I am not sure what idiot came up with it but they should be shot. Not allowing a business customer to be able to image a product consistent with their environment is absolutely assinine!
HP Recommended

thanks

HP Recommended

Hi Big_Dave,
I have the same problem of srm2888, I can't boot from CD even if Legacy is enabled...could you help me?

HP Recommended
Probably the best explanation which addressed my problem of three days with precision...quite unexpectedly FAT32! Superp!! Thanks very much, Big_Dave.
HP Recommended

Hi All,

I've had an issues since very early days of using HP Pavillion Notebook (around 8 months now)  but only recently felt the desire to resolve it.

On searching the issue I came across this thread. I have the issue noted below:

Legacy disabled (UEFI mode):

If the bios setting is legacy disabled then only UEFI devices will boot.  You may run into no hard drive selection menu, no boot option menu or Boot Device not Found followed by a message Hard Disk (3f0).

It works fine in legacy mode hence my laziness in trying to resolve but obviously I can't take advantage of safe boot etc.

The issue began when I had an issue that required a reinstall of the operating system. I did this from a Windows 8 ISO rather than a recovery partition and I assume during that process I've either moved the efi boot manager or deleted it altogether.

When I'm in the BIOS it says boot order is from the efi partition but when I try to alter the EUFI boot order it says Boot Manager not found or missing. Anything other than booting in Legacy gives me the error noted.

The drive now has 5 partitions 3 Primary and 2 logical in this order - System Reserve (Primary), C (Primary with Windows 10), F (Primary), G (logical)  and an HP_TOOLS Fat32 (Logical).    

Is there a tool recreate or reset the efi boot process?

Thanks

HP Recommended

I have not problem booting up to my USB.  I only had my HP laptop for one week.  I used it to boot to my legacy boot drive.  When I tried to boot up normally to Windows it keeps saying " Automati Repoair.  Your PC did not start correctly.  Press restart to restart you PC, which can sometimes fix the problem.  You can also press Advanced options to try other options to repair your PC.

I have tried restarting, I have tried resetting the pc, I have tried system restore, system image recovery, startup repair, changing the firmware settings, and even the startup settings.  It tells me I do not have a restore point or system image.  Startup repair states unable to repair.  What would cause this.  I have a dell as well it does the exact same thing after I use legacy mode.  My Hp came with Windos 8.1 but I upgraded to Windows 10 when I set it up.

HP Recommended
HP Envy 15 here. I cannot make it boot off a CD/DVD. I have enabled legacy mode, disabled secure boot . The bios says that if legacy if enabled UEFI is still enabled, and takes precedence. This means that the Hard Drive is always the ONLY thing that boots. Worse than that, I was trying without a formatted hard drive present, and it would not boot from DVD at that point either. (legacy enabled, USB DVD/CD drive at top of list, secure boot disabled). 1 - is there any way round this. 2 Is the HP recovery media I made useless (and always was and always will be) . Any comment from HP? This whole UEFI only thing seems a mess from everything I am reading about it.
HP Recommended
Hi guys my Hp Pavilion b15 sleekbook has some serious issues.
It boots with a blue /black screen and needs 4 hours to then come up with the message: no bootable device found, error 3F0.
After that I am able to open diagnostics which takes another 15min to show up.
I did the memory and the short and long Hdd tests and they all ended with "passed".
I could once open the window for the boot device order but the last times my pc went back to the bluescreen when I pressed any of the f1-11 buttons...
From the test I suppose my hardware is fine, but the UEFI is damaged..
Your assistance please 🙂
HP Recommended

hi i have a littel problem ..i have hp laptop and last time i run external live cd of backtrack 5 using lagecy support 

after exiting live windows my pc says no hard drive not found ..another thing i can't find boot menu using function key every key that i have try f1 to f12 even esc & delete ...now it's show no harddrive found how to fixed

HP Recommended

Just went through this myself with an HP 6200 desktop.  

In my case, what did the trick was:

1.  Enter Setup (F10 at boot, or Esc then F10).

2.  Under "Storage", "Boot Order" press F5 with cursor on "EFI Boot Sources" to disable it.

That should leave "EFI Boot Sources" grayed out, and "Legacy Boot Sources" highlighted.

Following that, CentOS 6 was able to install in BIOS mode (i.e., no /boot/efi required).

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.