Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Laptop
Boot device not found
Old install operating system on hard disk
Hard disk(3F0)
What is this...what do I do to fix it?
12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

As we have properly understood your issue can you pleas help us with the model number of the device you are using right now?

Nitin singh guleria

HP Recommended
Hp pavilion Dv4
HP Recommended

Please follow these steps if you can :

Fix Windows 10 error ‘Boot Device Not Found’
There are a few ways we can troubleshoot ‘Boot Device Not Found’. You will need your Windows 10 installation media for a couple of them.

1. Reboot your computer and enter the BIOS.
2. Make sure your boot drive appears as the boot device within the BIOS settings.
3. If it isn’t, change BIOS to boot from the drive and retry. If the hard drive doesn’t appear in the BIOS, it might indicate either the hard drive, cable or IDE/SATA slot might be faulty. Try a different slot, cable and drive if you can.

If you use an HDD, make sure the drive is set to IDE or ATA/SATA in your BIOS. If you use an SSD, make sure it is set to AHCI.

If the boot drive is present in your BIOS, it means it is likely not at fault. If that is the case, try this:

1. Boot from your installation media and select Troubleshoot instead of Install.
2. Select Troubleshoot, Advanced options and Command Prompt.
3. Type or paste ‘Chkdsk /r’ and let the process complete.
4. Try booting into normal mode once more.

Finally, if those two methods don’t work and the hard disk is found by the BIOS, you will have to try a reinstall.

1. Boot from your installation media and select Install once loaded.
2. Elect to save your files and settings and complete the reinstallation process.

Reinstallation of Windows 10 is the task of last resort but should overcome any configuration issues causing the Boot Device Not Found error.

HP Recommended
I'm sorry, I don't understand what u mean when u say "make sure ur boot drive appears as boot device with in ur bios setting"
I just ran the memory test, it passed, then the screen is at the same point it was before I ran the test. I tried the hard disk test but says not exist. So from here what do I do. I'm not very knowledgeable with this. My son was messing around with my laptop and today I couldn't do anything with it.
HP Recommended
It just keeps saying PLS INSTALL AN OPERATING SYSTEM ON UR HARD DISK
HP Recommended

Can you pleass  help us with the screen shot of that error so that we can assist you better?

Nitin

HP Recommended
OK I sent a pic . Not sure if I sent it to correct spot
HP Recommended
I don't c an option on here to load the pic I took of my computer screen,
HP Recommended
It allows me to type words only, no attachment or pic from my gallery
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.