Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Envy 700-410
Power on>preparing automatic repair>attempting repairs>automatic repair couldn't repair your PC

Tried every option presented in advanced options, including full system diagnosis. All systems passed. Every option but one leads to restart or shut down, the one exception being the command prompt. Tried several fixes found online. System doesn't recognize any commands.

I'm stuck with a dead computer and 500GB of my most recent work locked up. I'm not a happy person, as this unit is only two-years old.

Any idea what to do?
12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended
PS It should be added that I do not have the OS disk or the ability to make an image disk or flash-drive fix.
HP Recommended

@digbystills

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP ENVY Desktop - 700-410 and it no longer boots to Windows. I read that it starts to do an automatic repair but then it fails. You have run the hardware tests on the hard drive, memory, etc. and all the tests have passed. You've done a remarkable job performing the steps. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Did any software changes or updates happen on the PC post which this issue may have started?
  • What was the last thing happening on the PC just before this issue started?
  • Are you still using the original Win8.1 operating system or have you upgraded the operating system to Win10?

Meanwhile, I did some research and we will try to repair the Windows operating system by performing a Windows refresh

The Refresh option is primarily a repair method - a way to return your computer to a known good state.

The following list shows what happens when you refresh your computer:

• Your files and personalization settings such as libraries, user accounts, and desktop themes are saved.

• The computer settings are returned to the defaults.

• Apps from the Windows store are reinstalled, and the settings are reset to their defaults. Internet connectivity is not required to reinstall these apps.

• Desktop apps are removed unless they were installed by the computer manufacturer. At the end of the refresh process, an HTML file called Removed Apps.html is placed on the desktop with a list of the desktop apps that were removed.

Please feel free to let me know how it goes. I'm always here to assist you. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended
If you mean The refresh that appears in the troubleshooting section, it has been tried. I have tried every option including the command prompt.

Nothing special was happening before this problem. I shut it off one night, and turned it on the next morning. That's it.

I have purchased another operating system disk, but if at all possible, I would like to return it and get my $ back. I have not installed it yet.
HP Recommended

@digbystills

Let us try one more attempt to get the PC working. I suggest you to not install the operating system from the disk you purchased. The reason being, we need to always install the original operating system that was shipped with the PC otherwise it may not work correctly.

A system recovery will erase all data and restore your PC to its original factory condition.

For Windows 8 click here.

And for Win10 click here.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. Good luck! 

HP Recommended
I've got half a TB of work on it.
HP Recommended

Hi digbystills

You want your data.

I suggest you open the chassis.

Remove the HDD. Connect to a different PC. Now access the drive and see if you can backup the data on external media.

Or look at a SATA to USB HDD caddy. Connect HDD to caddy. Connect the caddy to USB on a different PC and backup data to external media.

Then deal with the boot issue.

Grzy

HP Recommended
I have a new HD. Thought to install WIN10 on it then can I transfer the data to it internally? No second computer to work with.
HP Recommended

Hi

That will work!

Install the new HDD on SATA0. Disconnect the current HDD before commencing to avoid confusion.

You don't want to install win 10 on the current HDD in error.

Reconnect the original HDD on SATA1 after the clean install. Move data to the new drive or external backup.

Grzy

HP Recommended
That's what I hoped! We'll see how it goes tomorrow...
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.