Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
TouchSmart 600

Hello there. I have been struggling with my burner for the past few months and it's really driving me nuts. I've purchased disc after disc and they still won't burn. As soon as I put in a blank disc, it sounds normal but once it gets to 99 percent (like when it's about to finish up? That sound) it repeats the same strange noise over and over again. I press the button to eject the disc but it doesn't come out at all. I have to disconnect the power cord then plug it back in just to take the thing out. I can't play DVDs or look at my pictures that are on a disc.

I'm not sure if the driver needs to be updated or what, but I wanted to know if so, will this erase everything that's on my media player/computer? I'm not trying to lose music that I've purchased from producers. Those were in the hundreds and I can't burn them at all because of this issue. It used to happen every blue moon but now? That's all it do. I want to bang my head up against the wall! :womansad:

Any help please? I can't get ahold to anyone on the phone from HP. Hope someone can help me here. Thank you so much! Hugs!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi there @racheal1985

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts and other support personnel. I understand that you are having trouble with your DVD writer. I am happy to help with this.

Please post the full product number and operating system in use on your computer. See the following, if you need help with that information.
How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?
Is the Windows Version on My Computer 32-bit or 64-bit?

In answer to your question about losing the files you are trying to burn to disk, that really depends on what you have been doing. If you have not been deleting the files they should still be on your hard drive. It would not hurt to make a back up to another hard drive as a safety measure, since the DVD writer is causing you trouble. Frankly, redundant copies are not a bad thing.

As to the DVD writer you are using, is it an external writer hooked up to your system or built in?

From your description of the noise it is making toward the end of a burn process it sounds like the drive is defective. So for now I think the safest thing to do is a backup to another hard drive as I mentioned.

Let me know the answers to my questions, and I will go from there.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hello there! My CD drive is built into my computer. This is the message that came up. And the seriel number and information has faded from my computer.  So hopefully you can see the scren shot that I included in my reply. So sorry I'm late with my response. I have been sick for the past few months. I hope to get some help with this issue. And I tried buying an external burner and it messed up my computer. I took it back the next day. _windows error message for media player.jpg

HP Recommended

If you can't see the picture it says " Windows Media Player encountered an error while burning. Please verify that the burner is connected properly and that the disc is clean and not damaged".

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.