cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
CreditCard1
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Call from a supposed HP Customer Care

HP Recommended
ALL Computers

I have gotten phone calls from a man who says he is with HP Customer Care and gave me all of the information that would come from HP including my name, address, phone number and HP Computer models. He told me that my computer needed updating and offered to transfer me to a tech support person to go onto my computer to update it I made him give me a phone number for HP Tech support 800-986-4764. I called it on another phone and the women answered tech support, NOT HP tech support. Right away I knew it was a scam and immediately told the first person that HP told me not to talk to you and he basically told me some four letter words. Please do not accept phone calls out of the blue for HP. The usually will not call you unless they are following up on a case. They got all of this personal information about your computer and you from someone inside HP.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Duane_D
Retired
Retired
4,641 3,064 52 155
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). 
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP. I am a Moderator on the HP Support Forums.
0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,688
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I found about 90 web-pages on this site that reference the same type of "scam":

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location&location=forum-board%3AOS...

Obviously, you're not the only one to be "spear-phished".

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation