Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

We are actually planning on upgrading to W10 fairly soon, but are having some technical difficulties.

And thank you for the advice, The issue im running into is 'How' to have the same setup as previously. That is why I asked if the 'Change the Product key' option would work if I installed Win 8 on the machines, activated the key successfully, and then could downgrade to 7 from there? Just trying to figure out the specifics

HP Recommended

I'm stuck. 

I don't know the details of how the original "downgrade" was performed.

Did it run as an application within Windows 8, or was it a "stand-alone" bootable program?

Did the downgrade software supply a valid product-key for Windows 7 ?

Sorry, but it's time for me to take a "bow", and go off-stage.

HP Recommended

This is the issue, is that I am not aware because this happened before my time here!

Hopefully someone else will know the answer, but I deeply appreciate your help!

HP Recommended

>>> before the wipe, they all had Windows 7 installed which leads me to believe it was a downgrade. 

> I am not aware, because this happened before my time here!

I suppose that the previous employee (or "contractor") did not leave any notes about what (s)he did?

Any possibility of contacting them, and asking what they remember?

Can you ask the "boss" for an exception to their "must-be-Windows-7" rule, and say that purchasing new copies of Windows 7 is not available, and would cost real money,

For a very few dollars, see: http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

for software that adds the Windows 7 "start menu" into Windows 8.

So, if it "clicks" like Windows 7, while running Windows 8, would it be acceptable?

Or, since you mentioned that Windows 10 is in your "future", offer these computers as the first "roll-out" of the replacement for Windows 7.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.