Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Computer cannot find content on hard drive through USB to ATA/ATAPI Bridge

HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey. I have some issues trying to get access to my old harddrive in my new computer. I am sorry in advanced that my technical skills kind of sucks, but I have tried my best to learn what is up, with no luck. So, with that said, I will try to make someone that knows this stuff to understand what the hell I am talking about. 

My MacBook from 2008 broke down a while ago, ofcourse, I had no backup. I bought something that may have the name USB to ATA/ATAPI Bridge (a device that I have put in my harddrive in to be able to connect it with my computer through USB).

When I plug it in, the computer finds the connected USB but when clicking on it, only "property for USB to ATA/ATAPI Bridge" show and no content.

It is a 160 (i think) gig HDD disk from a MacBook 2008.

The computer I try to get the disk to work in is a new HP Pavilion 256 GB SSD, Intel Core i5.

I hope someone has a clue how to fix this,

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 19
Level 19
84,686 84,573 10,697 22,928
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Could be something to do with files format. Please try one of the following ways:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-ways-read-mac-formatted-drive-windows/

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-read-mac-os-hfs-drives-in-windows-for-free-image-33695...

and many more,

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,661
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Since you purchased  a "USB to ATA/ATAPI Bridge", I am guessing that the 160GB disk-drive has an ATA/ATAPI connector.

See the picture: http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/j/hddjumpers.jpg

Note that between the "data" connector and the "power" connector are a few pins and maybe one "jumper".

Look extremely closely at the disk-drive.  The jumpers are labelled:

* MA ("master")

* SL ("slave")

* CS ("cable-select")

* SP ("spare")

If the jumper is in either the 'CS' or 'SL' position, move it to the 'MA' position.

This is necessary because the Bridge requires the disk-drive to respond as a "master".

Note: some disk-drives become "master" when the jumper is removed. 

If setting the jumper to 'MA' does not work, remove the jumper.

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation