Note on archived topics.
04-01-2015 08:56 AM
When I attempt to turn on my computer the power light comes on and I hear the fans running but after a second or 2 the light goes off and the fans stop running, after a count of 2 the light comes on the fans start up again and the same thing happens again, on off on off I don’t have to touch the button the only way I get it to stop is pull the plug from the wall. I thought maybe it was a power supply issue so I replaced this with a new one but I got the same results. Does anyone have an ideas????
04-16-2015 05:42 AM
Welcome to the HP Consumer Support forum.
In order to isolate the issue, please try and perform few basic steps as follows:
1. Open the hood and ensure the 4 or 6-wire power supply cable is seated into the connector on the system board
2. Check if a device is causing the problem by removing ALL attached devices (such as hard, diskette, or optical drives, and expansion cards).
3. Power on the system.
4. If the system enters the POST, then power off and replace one device at a time and repeat this procedure until failure occurs.
5. Replace the device that is causing the failure.
6. Continue adding devices one at a time to ensure all devices are functioning properly.
7. Locate the header and jumper labeled CLR_CMOS
8. Remove the jumper from pins 2 and 3.
9. Place the jumper on pins 1 or 2.
10. Put the jumper back on pins 2 or 3
11. Replace the access panel
12. Reconnect all the disconnected devices one by one and then power on the unit and check if the issue persists.
In case issue persists please get back to us and we would be glad to assist you.
Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again.
**Click the KUDOS star on left to say Thanks**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP
02-03-2017 01:45 AM
1. Disconnect power
2. Locate the header and jumper labeled CLR_CMOS
3. Remove the jumper from pins 2 and 3.
4 . Place the jumper on pins 1 or 2.
5. Press down and hold the power button for 20-30 seconds before releasing.
6. Put the jumper back on pins 2 or 3
NB: Check the direction of the reset jumpers. both should run across pins 2-3.