Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
550-103na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Windows update recently upgraded my Windows 10 to build version 1703 version 15063.138.

When I boot the system Explorer.exe is crashing every ~1 second and restarting. As this provides the destop it makes the system unusable. 

I have subsequently reinstalled Windows from scratch, following the relevant HP screens to do so. The problem still persists.

I hvae read Microsoft help article 3020114 which seems to suggest the problem may be caused by the boot volume (C:) being solid state. The articlke suggests a patch that needs to be applied, however, as I have no desktop I cannot run Windows Update.

Basicall I a stuck with a 1 month old computer that I can't use.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

> I have read Microsoft help article 3020114 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3020114/explorer.exe-continuously-crashes-after-you-upgrade...

This article was written a long time ago, and applies only to "Windows Server Technical Preview" and "Windows 10 Technical Preview".

The fix has been available (and probably installed) via Windows Update for a long time, and probably is "integrated" into the '1703' ("March 2017") version of Windows.

So, that article is of no help to you.

HP Recommended

I thought that might be the case. Anyone else got any ideas?

HP Recommended

Hi Tony

You stated you followed HP screens to reinstall Windows. So does this suggest you are using HP Recovery Manager to reinstall Windows 10?

Your PC shipped with Windows 10. Windows 10 should have no problems using an SSD drive and setting your PC back to factory specs using HP Recovery Manager should give you a stable system.

Did you make an HP Recovery USB stick, or a Windows 10 USB Recovery Drive? Not having the HP Recovery stick will cause some grief. It appears you can not make this media now with an unstable PC.

Try installing Windows clean by going here and downloading the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool.

Follow instructions. Install Windows 10 clean to see if your PC will run stable.

You will have to contact HP if none of the above works. You are in warranty.

Grzy

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.