Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Product: HP Pavilion 20 All-in-one PC 20-b021a

OS installed: Windows 8

Trying to install: Windows 7 Professional 32 bit

A Windows 7 DVD was purchased at the same time as the PC as I need to downgrade this PC (out of the box) because the business application that needs to run on this machine is not supported on Windows 8.

The PC will not boot from the Windows 7 DVD so I started Window 8 then run setup.exe from the DVD but then get the message: "Windows Setup experienced an unexpected error.  To install Windows, restart the installation."

Can you confirm that the hardware will run Windows 7?  If so how do I go about downgrading the OS?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

SOLUTION FOUND !

After much trials and tribulations, I finally got my HP p2-1322 PC working fine now with Windows 7 Pro. (It came with Windows 8 pre-installed.)

The instructions on the following link worked great for me:

http://blog.bitcollectors.com/adam/2012/10/installing-windows-7-on-an-hp-p2-1334-desktop-pc/

Or just google "Installing Windows 7 on an HP p2-1334 Desktop PC"  (The p2-1334 and p2-1322 have virtually identical specifications.)

Hope this helps someone else.

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please use the following article:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2015107/downgrading-from-windows-8-to-7-what-you-need-to-know.html

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

After you have created the recovery disk set or USB recovery media you can place your Windows 7 DVD in the DVD drive and boot from it to install Windows 7. You can also use the Windows 7 usb installation media. The Windows 7 usb installation media will install the OS faster and is much more reliable than a DVD installation disk.

You may need to create a Windows 7 USB installation media device and go into the BIOS to disable secure boot  if present and enabled) to intall Windows 7 on your PC's hard drive.

Windows 7 drivers are available at the HP web support portal for your PC.

Best regards,

erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

To build on the first two replies, I have the following to add....

Here are the specs for your HP Pavilion 20-b021a All-in-One Desktop Computer and its AABRZ-AB (Azara2) motherboard. Based on this specs, this model was shipped with Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit). Only Windows 8 Pro comes with downgrade rights, so what you are doing isn't technically a downgrade. As the computer only comes with Windows 8, all you are doing is installing Windows 7 on a new computer.

HP doesn't support installing Windows 7 on your computer and you will be required to return it to a factory like state to receive warranty service. As the computer was designed to be used with Windows 8, some hardware and/or software may not be compatible with Windows 7. Sourcing Windows 7 drivers may be difficult or impossible for some of the hardware on this computer.

First, you need to create your personal set of HP Recovery Discs from within Windows 8 using the HP Recovery Manager. Next, you will need to DISABLE "Secure Boot" and ENABLE "Legacy Support" in the BIOS. Because the computer came with a bootable GPT partitioned hard drive that is only supported in 64-bit operating systems, you will need to convert or repartition the hard drive as a MBR partition before you can install a 32-bit OS on it. After all of this has been done, you should be able to install Windows 7 Pro 32-bit from the CD/DVD by selecting the "Legacy CD/DVD drive" upon booting up.

You will need the following drivers to get the computer functional;

1) AMD Chipset Drivers (Chipset / AHCI / USB 3.0)

2) AMD Catalyst Display Driver for Windows 32-bit

3) Ralink Wireless LAN Card Driver from HP

4) Realtek 10/100 LAN PCIe Family Driver from HP

5) Realtek HD Audio CODEC Diver (check "Accept", click "Next", select download location for 1st item on list)

6) Download "Realtek Reader checking tool" to determine proper card reader driver. Download correct driver as indicated by "Reader checking tool". Most likely will be "PCIe RTS5229 card reader driver for XP/Win7/Win8"

Good luck and have fun 🙂

Please send KUDOs

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

i bought a laptop with window 8 and want to dowgrade it to window 7. please how do i do this?

HP Recommended

is it posible to dowgrade from window 8 to 7?

HP Recommended

Ndi,

When requesting assistance, please provide the complete product number of the HP computer in question. HP/Compaq makes thousands of models of computers that are all different. Without this information it may be difficult or impossible to assist you in resolving your issue.

The above requested information can be found on the bottom of your computer or in the battery compartment.

FYI: you aren't really downgrading from Windows 8 to Windows7, you are just doing a clean install of Windows 7 and this requires the use of a valid copy of Windows 7 with a COA and unused Windows product key. The easiest way to acquire this is to purchase a copy of Windows 7.

Please click the white KUDOS star to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

This has to be the most stupid thing on earth, not compatible with windows 7.. even the new Apple are compatible with windows 7. This is the worst decision making ever from a compagny. I will tell my clients to return their laptop and buy any other brand but HP. Disapointing.

HP Recommended

I have a p2-1322 that came with Windows 8,  I was able to install Windows 7 pro with my installation dvd, but I can't connect to the internet or my home ethernet network.  I was told by HP customer service that I needed a new driver for that, but they were not able to help me get one.

CAN ANYONE HELP? 

HP Recommended

I have a p2-1322 that came with Windows 8 home edition,  I was able to install Windows 7 pro with my installation dvd, but I can't connect to the internet or my home ethernet network.  I was told by HP customer service that I needed a new driver for that, but they were not able to help me get one.

CAN ANYONE HELP? 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.