cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Beretta2006
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Envy 700-230 graphics card upgrade

HP Recommended
Envy 700-230
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, i currenty have an Envy 700-730 Desktop, i would like to upgrade the graphics card on it. With a 300W power supply what would i be able to upgrade to? Could i use the GTX 670?

This is were i got the specs from my computer 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04058435

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
DavidSMP
Retired
Retired
12,360 12,338 1,169 2,499
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Beretta2006,

Good Day. Thanks for posting your query in the HP community. I read the post regarding graphic card upgrades and wireless card upgrades for the computer. I will be a pleasure to assist you here. I am responding to a related post here. 

Commendable diagnosis and splendid description of the issue before posting. Hats off to you on that score. 🙂

To assist you accurately, I would require more information regarding this.

• Did you check locally with a technician if any graphic cards are supported?

The computer specs are listed in this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-700-000-desktop-pc-series/5358989/model/5378372/documen... and it has an integrated graphics card.

But the good news is that the motherboard supports expansion slots and you should be able to upgrade the graphics card on this computer. Please check the motherboard specs from this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-700-000-desktop-pc-series/5358989/model/5378372/documen... and it has PCI express slots for graphic card upgrades.

• One PCI Express x16 (Gen 3.0)
  • Three PCI Express x1 (Gen 2.0)
  • One PCI Express half-length mini card socket

Factors that need to be kept in mind during the upgrade:

• The power supply should support the graphics card.
  • The power connector should match the graphic card’s power port.
  • The bios involved.
  • The operating system of the computer
  • The expansion slot of the card.
  • The form factor of the wireless card and the graphics card

Your computer checks all the right boxes for these except maybe the power supply if you need a powerful graphics card and the form factor.

Please note that HP does not recommend upgrading either the operating system or the computer’s hardware as the components that were initially installed with the unit are certified by HP for optimal performance. However, as you are very technically inclined, I would still request you to consult a local technician like Best Buy or Staples before proceeding to upgrade the graphics card on the unit.

So please contact a local Best Buy or staples technician and perform the upgrade so that there are no compatibility issues with the Graphics card for your computer and everything works smoothly.

Regarding the wireless card upgrade: 

"To add Bluetooth support and it seems that Centrino N-6230 or N-6235" I would still say it should be upgradeable because of the mini express slot on the motherboard. But please contact a local technician before doing it to avoid compatibility issues.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Beretta2006
Author
3 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I havent taken it to a tech and i dont need to, i just need a reccomendation on what the best grpahic card would be.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation