Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Your Specs page says it shipped with Vista 32 bit. The AMD 64 bit processor has nothing to do with your original OS, other than it is capable of running a 64 bit OS.

As for choice between WD & Seagate, there are fans of each which will swear by one or the other.I have used both and haven't seen a lot of difference.

I do love WD's Passport drives for external backup hdd, have 2 of them that travel very well.I use them for personal file backup and rescuing files off machines I work on for others.Worth their weight in gold.;)

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

I helped my relative for similar situation. He has a Pavilion p6142p. When boot up, it said no boot drive. I run the diag utlity. It said BioHD-3. System found there is a WD HD inside and checked without error. I ran a HD program and there did not find any problems. IS HD bad? it just cannot boot-up and cannot hit F11 for recovery. I think cannot call the recovery utlity from the HD.

so you think the drive is bad?

HP Recommended

So, the Recovery Media will install a fresh version of the Windows Vista OS (32 bit) on a new HDD?

HP Recommended
Yes.

HP Recommended

@alvinchan

Order a Recovery Disk set>> Contact HP 

HP Recommended

Can you please send me a link to a Western Digital HDD from Tiger Direct?

The least expensive one should be good.

300-500 GB HDD will suffice.

Thx!

HP Recommended

Sure. WD_ 320

HP Recommended

Hello again,

Well, I just received the new WD320 HDD and the HP recovery disks. I install the HDD, insert the #1 CD, and I still get the same Disk Boot Failure screen.

I run the Diagnostics, and this time get: Boot Path - Error Code: BIOHD-3.

The new HDD is recognized in the BIOS.

I made sure the Boot Sequence is set to CD ROM - but still get the Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk screen.

This is absolutely driving me nuts. Why can't computers be more User friendly. 😞

Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

May be an issue with the CD/DVD drive as HERE There are several different drives / Firmware listed on the driver page Here Check BIOS to determine which drive you have. Or, if you have another machine with a drive that you could use temporarily to try the Recovery? Doesn't even have to be installed, I have simply hooked up a DVD drive to cables and used it.

HP Recommended

Hello Cheryl,

You have been great!!

I was able to get my hands on a CD drive from a newer desktop, and it worked!

The desktop is back up and running. 🙂

Now I need to see if there a update (firmware) for my current CD/DVD drive.

Once again...Thank you!!! 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.