Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,  I saw your massage  related to    Error code BIOHD-2 and  I have a same problem.  I installed a new  Hard drive (western digital)  then  I am getting  a  error code  BIOHD-3.  Did you get it fix yours?  If yes Please help me  and  I will appreciated very much.  I did so many different thing and still no luck.  Thanks  again...

HP Recommended
Hi sorry to bump an oldish thread. My 18 month old slimline pavilion has died and when running diagnostic I get this error. Sadly we have 2 of these machines. The other one is currently running fine so I swapped the cd/DVD drive over but it hasn't fixed the broken one.
Does this mean my HD is buffered?
I've tried a recovery disc created off the other machine and connected my external back up drive that has a system image on it. Nothings working. Now contemplating smashing it to tiny pieces and posting it back to HP. Pretty appalled that a fairly well specced PC from such a reputable company has died so quickly.
The model is an s5210uk.
And if I need to change the hard drive is there any guides? It's awful tight and diddly looking in there!

Thanks in advance
Mark
HP Recommended

I have the same problem.... m9517c is the model  i get stuck at the first screenwhen i get into the bios the hard drive is therebut on the start up when it shows windows starting it restarts.when i click f9 for diagnostic check i get biohd-2 error and it said bad boot path  iv tried a new dvd burner but it is an external dvd drive if that matters at all.iv also tried 2 hard drives still stuck any recommendations guys ?

HP Recommended

Ran into same issue with a m9517c (2008 model way too short of a life span since I have built one that is still running from 2000, anyways the code I received while running the diagnostic program was BIOHD-2 error was told by support it was bad hard drive ordered another and replace still same error code, Finally spoke to another tech after 3 phone calls that were dropped and never got the call backs like the tech claim they will do.

Anyway had to get the frustrating part out LOL.

Was finally told that it was the motherboard after I had tested both the new and the supposed broken hard drive.

Now the interesting thing is that I pulled cmos battery waited reinserted and tried again no joy, the motherboard has only gone bad in the sata area which controls your cd, hdd, etc I started pushing on the board and for a minute I got the drives to appear when I let go the drives disappeared. HP wants 450 for a new motherboard thats maybe 3 yrs old I can buy or build another one for that price. All I have to say is research before you dish out money and throw your old hdd drive away, you may have the same problem I had.

Oh I am now running both 1 tb drives the original seagate that came with the computer (Still have all my pics and music) and the WD I bought from HP parts. Sorry for the rambling I hope this helps though...

HP Recommended

The Real problem is NOT with any of the drives. I have a machine that I'm working on right now and I get teh BIOHD-2  Error when I am able to get in and run the system diagnostics. When checking the bios on this machine NO drives are detected.... I did all the suggestions, and Nothing Worked... I work on computers as a side job and have done so for Years.... The only conclusion is the Mother board is at fault for this issue NOT the drives. if you replace the mother board with a better board you will find the machine will work just fine after re installing the OS from the disk.

HP Recommended

2 day befor hdd chenge the system

HP Recommended

Hi, my desk top  cant open becuase they showing massage eror BIOHD-2

HP Recommended

I had the same problem with my HP Pavalion m9580nl.

Bios didn't 'see' any kind of device, no HDD and no cd/dvd-rom.

I followed the manual how to deal with this problem but it didn't bring me the solution.

The diagnostic test mentioned my WDC-HDD with error code BIOHD-2, but in the bios resetting it (F5) to standart values was no solution at all. I did everything the guys from HP suggested here on this forum but that wasn't the solution at all.

And I was supprised with all the stupid advises I've read told to people who clearly told what their problem was and who was advised to buy some kind ofe recovery kit. And that didn't work. Of course it didn't!!!

The problem is in the bios itself. So I solved the problem with these steps;

1. disconnect your computer from all the power cords.

2. open the cover and remove the main power cable from the motherboard.

3. remove the data and power cables from your HDD's (cd/dvd-rom dousn't matter)

4. remove the graphics card (nescessary to reach the bios-battery easily)

5. pull out the bios battery.

6. Don't touch your pc for at least 12 hours! To be sure the bios is reset.

7. Reconnect everything you disconnected as discribed above.

8. boot up and it runs again 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.