Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I turned off my computer last night and when I turned it back on today I received a "no boot disk detected or disk failed" error.  The computer is a Pavilion P7-1011 Desktop running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

Is there a way to fix this or did I just lose everything on my computer?  I've only had the computer since March 30, 2012

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I recommend that you start your PC and go into the BIOS and then  select F2 Diagnostics and run the hard disk diagnostic test.

carmel.png

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

I recommend that you start your PC and go into the BIOS and then  select F2 Diagnostics and run the hard disk diagnostic test.

carmel.png

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
Thanks, it gave me a connection test failed message and error BIOHD1. I verified all the connections. Looks like the hard drive failed.
HP Recommended

Yes. It sounds like hard disk replacement time. the hard disk is a warranty replaceable unit. It is still within the warranty period.

Contact HP for a replacement hard disk. 

I do hope that you made recovery media.

HP Recommended

When you start your computer hit F11 repeatedly. This will run the hardware diagnostic. If it still doesn't detect your harddrive the harddrive might be defective. I had two defective harddrives when I first bought my HP Desktop. One went a month after buying it and the other went bad three or four months after that. The guy at Best Buy said if that one went bad they would have to give me a whole new computer because of the lemon law. The second drive has worked fine and it has been a few years. I bought my PC when Seagate was having trouble with the read/write heads breaking. Keep your old harddrive because you can hook it up as a secondary drive if it is not physically broken and you may be able to get some of your documents off of it. If it's under warranty bring it in to the store with receipt. Don't fix it yourself until the warrantty is up.

HP Recommended
Thank for the info, that's exactly what I'm going to do.
HP Recommended
@ erico: Nope, I kept putting off making the recovery discs because I've never had problems with my HPs. Looks like my luck ran out.
HP Recommended

After receiving the message, "no boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed" I restarted my computer pressed the ESC button then selected the F2 key to run diagnostics. Error code received BIOHD1  Drive not detected  connection failed. Memory test passed CPU test passed

This is on my HP #100B All-in-One PC.

SKU: XZ812UT#ABA

S/N: [Personal Information Removed]

Purchased on 09/23/2011 through Tiger Direct.

Though I have searched everywhere I have been unable to locate a start-up disk (I know, idiot alert). I am sure that I had assumed that one came with the unit but when I checked my paperwork, the receipt and the tag from the shipping box were there along with the quick setup booklet but no CD.  If I need this, I will need to be directed to somewhere online where I can make one.  That computer had Windows 7 installed on it when I received it but has had issues with freezing up and blue screens from day one.  The first time I turned it on - blue screen-.  A reboot fixed that so my initial assumption was that perhaps the unit was jarred in shipping.  Since then, it has been a total PITA with freezing, screens dimming back into a white haze and fussiness when more than one or two windows or programs are open.  This error came up this morning when I had Internet Explorer open and attempted to open my Quicken program.  It started with a beeping and I was unable to close either program or use the winkey to get to the shutdown.  I also attempted to use the ctrl-alt-delete function but it too would not come up so I was forced to just shut down the computer.  When I tried to restart, I got the message.  I attempted to restart it a few times, each with the same result.  Can you please help?

Thank you,

Sherry

HP Recommended

i tried reseting bios (wont let me) system recovery (wont let me) i have a hp slimline s5-1114 connection test failed  error 3F0

CPU TEST-PASSED 

CONNECTION TEST-FAILED 

MEMMORY TEST-PASSED

HP Recommended
How to run the hard disk after getting in diagnostic part,it says test of connecction is enabled ,thanks
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.