Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion P6000
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

This computer was donated to RSVP (Retired Senior Volunteer Program).  We repair/refurbish donated equipment and then donate it to local charity organizations that need it.  When I booted the computer, there was a message indicating that Windows 7 Home Premium may not be genuine and needs to be activated.  When I tried to activate it, I was offered the option to buy a new product key online or type a different product key.  I do not know the original product key, but need to be able to activate the product.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Take a look at the computer's case.  Is there a "genuine Microsoft" sticky-label on the back/sides/bottom of the case?

Does it contain a 25-character product-key?  If so, use the product-key.

From: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-p6000-desktop-pc-series/3884665

I looked at this computer's specifications, on the HP Support web-site.

Sometimes, one can still order a copy of the originally-installed software, for a small fee, from HP.

Unfortunately, not so, for this model.

Some Other People on have recommended:  www.ComputerSurgeons.com

as a source for buying a copy of the original software, again for a small fee.

If your charity is registered in Canada, see: www.techsoupcanada.ca

Microsoft donates copies of Windows 10 and Office 2016 to Registered Charities, for a small "administrative fee".

HP Recommended

There is no sticker on the case with the key or I would not have had this problem.

HP Recommended

> No sticker ...

Sigh.  It was shipped with Windows 7, but the person who donated it must have installed some other version of Windows, and it is that "other" version which is not "genuine".

Are you in Canada, or are you in a different country?

I understand that Microsoft has similar "charity donation" programs in other countries.

You'll have to search Microsoft's web-site, in your country, to find information about that program.

HP Recommended

I know it was shipped with Windows 7 because there is the logo sticker on the front saying Windows 7.  It has 64 bit Home version.  I'm quite sure that this is the original installation, based on timestamps on some files and directories.  I'm in the US.

It seems like it should be pretty simple for HP to look up the key that belongs to this serial number and give it to me, but there is no way to contact them by phone.  The phone number for support leads to a menu that wants to know if I'm calling about a purchase or tech support.  When I press the button for tech support, I get a recording that tells me to go to the website.

HP Recommended

> I'm quite sure that this is the original installation, based on timestamps on some files and directories. 

Even today, if you re-install Windows, some of the files written to the disk-drive will have timestamps from the last time that the software developers of Windows compiled and saved the files, namely 2010 or 2011.

From my computer:

Directory of c:\

13/07/2009  08:20 PM    <DIR>          PerfLogs
13/01/2016  07:55 PM    <DIR>          Users

I reinstalled Windows on January 13, 2016 (failed Windows Update corrupted everything, preventing Windows from booting).

> It seems like it should be pretty simple for HP to look up the key that belongs to this serial number and give it to me,

Yes, it would be simple, if that data was collected at "final assembly" in the HP factory.  But, does HP collect that data?

Note that each identical model of each HP computer has the same product-key embedded on the disk-drive.

That key is different from the key on the decal that is "slapped" onto the case.

> but there is no way to contact them by phone. 

> The phone number for support leads to a menu that wants to know if I'm calling about a purchase or tech support. 

> When I press the button for tech support, I get a recording that tells me to go to the website.

Did you call outside of "business hours" (or on a weekend, or on a holiday, like Good Friday or Easter Monday) ?

Have you been able to find a US-based equivalent to that "Tech Soup" company in Canada?

I was able to help a charity purchase Microsoft Office 2016 Professional Plus for $58 Canadian (multiply by 3/4 to convert to USD).  Such software retails at over $500 per copy.

HP Recommended

I am aware that the installation files have the timestamp of their original creation.  The timestamp I look at is on files that were created at installation time (for example, the installation log).

For some reason, Microsoft thinks that the embedded key is not valid for this computer.  I attempted to call HP during their business hours.  They simply will not speak to anyone needing support outside the warranty period unless they are willing to pay for support.

Tech Soup is available in the United States.  It is what RSVP uses for software, but can only be used on computers that are used by RSVP.  The computers I refurbish (as a volunteer) are for donation to worthy community causes (like women's shelters that train people with job skills, local churches that run after school programs for at risk children, and other organizations) and occasionally are given to very needy people in the community.  When I work on a computer, I don't know who it will be going to and cannot use RSVP's Tech Soup account to buy software licenses for these computers.

I posted this question here because it was the only option HP offered me.  I expected (and still hope) that someone from HP will provide an answer, but I am very grateful for your efforts to help.  Thank you.

HP Recommended

> For some reason, Microsoft thinks that the embedded key is not valid for this computer. 

You say that the decal is "missing".  I wonder if somebody scraped it off, and has abused it, to install many copies of Windows 7 Home Edition on many computers.  So, Microsoft could have intentionally INVALIDATED that key, to stop all those "software pirates".

> I attempted to call HP during their business hours.  They simply will not speak to anyone needing support outside the warranty period unless they are willing to pay for support.

That's their business decision.  Nothing that you or I can do about it.

> Tech Soup is available in the United States.  It is what RSVP uses for software, but can only be used on computers that are used by RSVP.  The computers I refurbish (as a volunteer) are for donation to worthy community causes (like women's shelters that train people with job skills, local churches that run after school programs for at risk children, and other organizations) and occasionally are given to very needy people in the community.  When I work on a computer, I don't know who it will be going to and cannot use RSVP's Tech Soup account to buy software licenses for these computers.

It sounds like those organizations will qualify for their own Tech Soup account, and will be able to make their own requests to Tech Soup for donated Microsoft (and Adobe and other companies) software. 

If those organizations can provide you with their license-keys they have acquired, can you use your technical skills to install the software on their computers, and then deliver the computers to them?

Have you considered installing the UBUNTU variant of Linux?

It has Firefox for web-browsing, Thunderbird for E-mail, and LibreOffice (compatible with MS Word/Excel/PowerPoint), and the software is "by donation".

I have installed it on a few computers, just before the "sunset" date for Windows Vista (last week), and it works fine on computers that were "designed for Vista".  A great way to "repurpose" "sunsetted" hardware.  🙂

> I posted this question here because it was the only option HP offered me.  I expected (and still hope) that someone from HP will provide an answer, but I am very grateful for your efforts to help. 

Here, we are all volunteers. Some of the volunteers are employed by HP, but none speaks for HP.

So, you are "on your own" -- use Tech Soup, or install UBUNTU.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.