Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Still Looking for a solution for this.  I have an HP Envy Laptop.  WIndows 10.  

The problem happens to any mouse detected.  The problem seems to happen during the boot up process, with the circles appearing  when the initial black screeen with white dots first disappears.

removing keyboards in device manager and rebooting didn't help as well as removing the mice and rebooting.

I updated to the latest WHQL Intel 5000 HD graphics driver  without success.

the condition is present in safe maode as well.

This is not a touch screen model so it cant be related to that.

Help!

HP Recommended

OK I figured it out.  It's the touchscreen driver.  If you disable the touchscreen, the problem stops.

right click on start (Win10) and click on device manager. 

expand HID devices.

right click on touchscreen

click disable.

There does not appear to be a newer touchscreen driver, so turning it off is the only fix.

(it may be a hardware defect in the touchscreen)

HP Recommended

Dear HP Representative.

I think you missed a very important point in the history described in the question. NO SOONER THEN SET UP was finsihed did the problem start. I experienced the exact same problem. With one additional caviat.... internet windows keep opening by themself and the curser selects items on the window and opens them at rapid fire speed. There is nothing but a hard shut down to stop this.

Thinking I did something wrong at set up I followed your steps above all the way to a factory reset. No change. Same issues. Removing internet explorer from my pin bar seems to have stopped the rapid fire web page opens but the circles and interruptions they cause through erratic mourse behavior are still there.

I thought it might be related to cortana since that program makes circles, so I disabled everything I could related to cortana, even my mic but still the circles come and I am unable to un-install cortana- there seems no way to completely turn it off.  I do notice that when their are sustained loud noises on the train the problem always pops up. Like it is reacting to the noise- but turning off my mic should have fixed that and did not.

My guess is it is either Cortana or Windows ten causing the program while trying to "listen" in and force its use. What is the fix for this?

Same with internet explorer- I think the crazy screen issue is again internet explorer trying to force its way into use making the system inoperable.

What is the fix for this?

I am ready to return this lap top I bought one week ago and by an apple.

If you have a way of responding to my private email that would be best.

HP Recommended

@VladanCatherine

A very warm welcome to the HP community. A very good day to you. 

I understand that you have an HP laptop and it has ghost circles on the screen and has erratic mouse pointer behavior. Also, the web pages open by themselves. the issue still persists.

To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Please let me know the exact product model no. This link will help you to find the model no: http://hp.care/2bygf7l
  • Have you scanned your laptop to check for any viruses, malware, spyware, etc? (Some viruses may still remain post a reset)
  • What operating system are you using?

Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

• The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

Figure : HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI screen

• Select Component tests.

Figure : Component Tests options

List of the Component tests

• Please run a test on the Mouse/Touchpad - There are 2 mouse tests to determine if the mouse is functioning correctly - the Pointer Test and the Drag and Drop Test. Click Mouse/Touchpad, then select the test you want to run and follow the instructions.
  • Then run a test on the Video - This test includes 3 tests of the video hardware on your computer. Select one of the following tests, then click Run Once.
  1. Video Memory Fast Check - 3 minute video memory test

2. Video Memory Check - 20 minute memory test

3. Palette Check - 1 minute test of the three video color components. Follow the on-screen instructions during the test.

I hope this sheds some light on the root cause of the issue. Please let me know the outcome. Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

I have an Acer z5600 all-in-on desktop. I solved mine by doing the following:

1. Power options

2. Choose what the power buttons do

3. Change settings that are currently unavailable

4. Uncheck turn on fast start up

HP Recommended

I had he problem on an Acer z5600 all-in-on desktop. I solved mine by doing the following:

1. Power options

2. Choose what the power buttons do

3. Change settings that are currently unavailable

4. Uncheck turn on fast start up

HP Recommended

Hello,

I am facing the same issue of "Ghost circles and erratic mouse behavior" with HP All in One Desktop  27-n014a -TCH".

I changed mouse, reinstalled Windows 10 after formatting drive, reverted BIOS to previous version etc. none of these helps and this might be a Touch Screen driver issues from other threads.

Its a pain and I spend $1600 for this PC a year ago and this looks like a Hardwaree issue.

HP Recommended

Further to this, I did the following to resolve the issue of "Ghost circles and erratic mouse behavior",(means cursor changes randomly around the screen and also can see small circles in different places of screen. HP didn't fixed this yet..)

-Right click on My comuter  and select > Manage 

-Select > Device Manager

-Select > Human interface devices and expand

-Locate and disable "HID - Compliant Touch Screen"

This resolved my issue. But unfortunately, I lost the advantages of touch screen, that I paid for.

Good Luck!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.