Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP,

I have a HP 2311x that was bought in late Nov 11.  I've been using it via DVI with my custom computer running Windows Pro 7 64 bit on a GTX 460 video card.  On Friday I began to get the Check Video Cable message on a black screen then the monitor will go to sleep.  When the monitor does its start up sequence the DVI input is recognized as active, but I still get the Check Video Cable message.  Here are some of the things I've done:

I've changed DVI video cables-No change

I tried to manually select the input to DVI-No change

Used the second DVI connection from my video card-No change

Used my GTX 460 and DVI cable on a different monitor-Everything worked fine

Plugged the verified good cable into the HP 2311x-No change

Used a VGA output from a 2nd legacy video card(Radeon X1550)-Monitor worked with some distortion

Used DVI output from the Radeon X1550-Received Check Video Cable message

Used a VGA output from an Asus Eee PC-Monitor worked with no issues

I haven't tried HDMI, nor do I want to use HDMI.  If the monitor was made to take DVI it should work.  Any help would be appreciated.  I've seen other threads with a similar issue, but they were using the HDMI not the DVI input.

Jason

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Only attach one active video cable to the monitor.

Try a monitor reset. Unplug the monitor’s power cord and hold down the monitor’s power button for 30-60 seconds. Plug the monitor back in and power it up. Now reset the Source input in the monitor's menu to DVI.

Try the monitor on another PC using DVI.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

Only attach one active video cable to the monitor.

Try a monitor reset. Unplug the monitor’s power cord and hold down the monitor’s power button for 30-60 seconds. Plug the monitor back in and power it up. Now reset the Source input in the monitor's menu to DVI.

Try the monitor on another PC using DVI.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

It worked.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

star at the pc, the monitor does not live and the message check cable video, please solution?

HP Recommended
connect your monitor with vgi and from menu -> Factory Reset and chose yes. then connect the monitor back with hdmi and you should be good
HP Recommended

Thanks! I had the same problem with my second HP monitor on a DVI cable and the reset worked for me.

HP Recommended

I am using a Dell laptop and in have connected a vga to hdmi cable (since laptop has no vga port) to use the a bigger  HP L1706 monitor. Monitor sends message " check video cable" and soon goes to sleep.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.