Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Dear HP Forum users,

I work at schools and at some of these schools in some classrooms we use HP 6200 PRO SFF machines.

Now the following problem has arisen.

When students want to have audio using an HP 6200 PRO SFF machine they use the front audio connector
to plug in their 3.5 jack headphones or 3.5 jack ear plugs.  The problem is that we have some really
disrespectfull students that do anything to break stuff and that is what has happened to one of the HP 6200 PRO SFF machines.

What a student has done is break off the 3.5 jack connector in the front audio port.  When this happens windows thinks there is an audio device plugged in.   After this you can't use any other audio ports on the computer, not in the front, not in the back because again windows thinks that there is already an other audio device plugged in.

To solve this problem you can unplug the front audio connector from the motherboard.  After you do this you can use the rear audio connector.  But after unplugging the front audio connector from the motherboard you get the following error message :  Error 917 Front audio not connected.   After getting this error you can press F1 and the computer boots up like it normally should but you must always press F1 otherwise it just wont boot up.

I have tried many many things to get rid of this Error 917 message but no luck.  I have tried to disable this error in the BIOS but I can't find any option in the BIOS to do this.  I have tried other options found googling online but no luck, also called the HP Support line but this was really no help either....  the support person said either disable it in the BIOS which I can't do or buy a new FRONT audio connector which costs a whopping 100+ Euros.

Sooo my question for you all is as follows :   How can I disable / get rid of this Error 917 message without replacing the FRONT Audio connector???

Awaiting your response.

Greetings

Davidargai

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello

My suggestion would be to turn off Post Messages at boot in bios:

In Bios it is listed under Power-On Options:

POST Messages
Changes the display status of Power-On Self-Test (POST) messages. POST messages disabled suppresses most POST messages. If a POST error occurs, the error is displayed regardless of the mode selected. Options are Enable and Disable.

I work for HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.