Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Microtower dc5800
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I own a Microtower dc5800, running now Windows 10 Pro 64bit with no problems! 

Installed sare 3 HDD's, and I would like to be able to install at least 2 different OS'es, the already running Windows 1o Pro and on a second HDD a Linux Debian 8 Server. 

The BIOS is updated to the latest version 1.60.

While booting the computer, use F9 for the Boot Menue and choose HDD, the computer boots directly into SATA01 with Windows 10 and I didn't have any choice for to choose any other HDD!

How do I could choose a different HDD for to boot from? 

I checked all over in the Bios and didn't found any solution. Could someone please explain in details the How To........?

Thanks a lot for any information and help!

Regards

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

It isn't really a BIOS issue. Dual and multi-booting can be accomplished in a number of ways. Read the tutorial at the following website to learn how you can do it. You should follow the Windows installed first method. Use a Grub loader.

https://www.howtogeek.com/214571/how-to-dual-boot-linux-on-your-pc/

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

@Provost:

That didn't works. I'm on Windows 10 Pro and using to install Linux Server on 2.HDD, will install the Grub Loader, just didn't give the option by booting to chose the OS! Instead it also crashed my Windows 10 Installation totally and I've to do a clean new install of it as well.

Any other way for to get more than one OS working on an HP Compaq Microtower dc5800?

Thanks for any working advice.

Regards

HP Recommended

@Quaxth

Dual and Multi-booting will always be topics that require a bit of reading.

What you will have to do is read up on how to use and configure Grub.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Sorry if I could not spend weeks and month for to "maybe" get something to work, if ever.

The simple fact is, after following your advice for to install the Linux Server on the second HDD and using the Grub Loader, my original and activated Windows 10 Pro was simply spoiled by the HP Compaq Microtower dc5800 computer, so I need to spend quite some time for to do a clean new installation of Windows 10 Pro and all apps again, because a Repair wasn't possible! 

That's not the first time I get such crazy problem regarding incompatibility with some HP Hardware and/or Driver and never got a working help from there! 

Sorry to tell that, it's simply the truth! 

In this case of that computer, it's just because of an idiotic technical design for not to be able to use any of the SATA HDD's for to boot on demand to an OS installed on it using a simple BIOS Function, because the BIOS Function didn't exist! 99% or even more of all Computer having that function!

Regards

HP Recommended

I am saddened to hear that you did not take the time to set up Grub. I found it to be pretty simple and have done it numerous times on quite a few PCs.

You dc5800 did not screw up the Windows installation.

You could have used a USB or DVD Windows installer to boot to a command line to fix the MBR on the Windows hard disk.

As an alternative you could also have disconnected the Windows HDD and then installed the LInux OS to a different.

There are many ways to configure a dual or multi-boot setup.

It just takes a bit of study and patience to understand how to use them.

There isn't anything that is worthwhile takes a few minutes to learn.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.